Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:27:49 PM

Author Topic: XBox360 Controller Plugin New User Info  (Read 147417 times)

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
XBox360 Controller Plugin New User Info
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:07:01 PM »
The following is a general explanation for those who have basic questions about the XBox360 Controller.  If you are considering the XBox360 Controller plugin, hopefully, you will find this information useful.

Answers to questions I received:
1.       Microsoft makes an “Xbox360 Controller for Windows” as well as a plain Xbox360 controller.  They also make a wireless version.  They are really the same controller.  The difference is the adapters they ship with the product.  The Xbox360 controller for Windows comes with a USB adapter.  I have included some EBay pictures below.  You want to get a Microsoft brand not a Logitech or anybody else’s version.
2.       If you have an Xbox 360 you can use the wireless controller but you need to buy the little rectangular transmitter shown in the wireless pictures below.  You can find those on Ebay also.  Microsoft makes a Wireless Charger for the Xbox 360 controller.  It has a USB end.  You do not want to use that one on a pc.   It is only for use on the Xbox 360.  You cannot use an older Xbox controller.  It has to be 360.
3.       It will work off of any pc that has a USB port and can run XP or higher.
4.       It can control the jogging of all 4 axes.  The buttons can be assigned to macros.  It is a lot easier than pushing the buttons on the keyboard to jog.
5.       If you go to the Mach site and pick ”Plugins” under the “Downloads” choice.  Then go to the bottom and pick the plugin.  Also pick the setup guide.  It will give you all the info you need.  Click on the plugin and it will install itself.  All it really does is copy a file “Xbox360Controller.DLL” into the C:\Mach3\Plugins folder.  You can do the same thing by going to Lee’s files and downloading the Zip file and then unzipping it and then copying it into C:\Mach3\Plugins.
6.        Click on the blue “DirectX redistributables” link to go to Microsoft’s site.  Download and install the redistributable (even if you are running Vista or Win 7). After installing the download, you can connect the Xbox360 controller (if you are connected to the Internet) and then allow the pc to go on the net and find the driver.  If you are not connected to the net then download the “Xbox360_32Eng.exe” file and run it.  Then connect the Controller.
7.       It does not hurt to install the “DirectX redistributable” even if you do not have a 360 controller.

Thank you.
Lee
Re: XBox360 Controller Plugin New User Info
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
Hi Lee,

I have a few questions:
Can I freely assign buttons/sticks to OEM codes?
If I understand well, the plugin only works with the MICROSOFT XBOX 360 controller, right? (W.g. not with the Logitech rumble pad)

I am thinking about purchasing a wireless XBOX360 controller, if I can assign OEM codes then I think it will be a better choice than a handwheel pendant...

Btw. I miss the pictures, did you forget to attach? :)

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »
Hi Hunserv,

First, the pictures were attached as links in the narrative.  I guess the forum stripped them off.  Anyway the thing to search for on EBay is "Xbox360 Controller For Windows".  For the wireless, you need the the controller of course and also the little white rectangular wireless receiver that is often shown in the pictures.  It has the Microsoft logo on the top and a small white button near the middle.  The official name for the receiver is is "Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Receiver For Windows".  I have tried to make some other brands work but the problem comes down to drivers and header files supplied by the vendor.  All I have to do on my end is add the ProductID and VendorId.  But if the vendor supplied header files are are different on 2 different Mach users pcs then the plugin may work fine on one pc and not work at all on another.  So I have found it easier to just say "Microsoft Only". 

The plugin supports Custom OEMs and Custom Macros.  You can download and install the plugin and look at the config section even if you do not have a controller plugged in.

Good luck
Lee
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
Thanks for the explanation!

So far I have checked it only at one shop, there the controller was packed together with that wireless reciever... so I guess I'll go for it. Just have to find another shop, here I see price differences of 10 USD...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »
Well, I am not a programming guy, but if only Vendor and Prodct ID-s are to be added, then can't you just make 2 fields in the config window for them, and (if I get it well) other controllers could be used as well???? (and these infos can be read out at the driver info in windows, no?)

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:46:49 PM »
The problem is not the ProductId and VendorId but rather trying to support different users pc configurations.  If you have a ProductId and a VendorID I can certainly add it and send you a copy of the modified plugin.  But, if it doesn't work right, you will have to troubleshoot it yourself.

Your suggestion could be done but it would involve considerable rework and I would have to charge for it.

FYI - the EBay selling price is usually about $40.00 US. for the wireless controller package.

--------------------------------------
Well, I am not a programming guy, but if only Vendor and Prodct ID-s are to be added, then can't you just make 2 fields in the config window for them, and (if I get it well) other controllers could be used as well? (and these infos can be read out at the driver info in windows, no?)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 10:50:23 AM »
Thanks for the answers!
So it does not worth the trouble, then I`ll go for the Microsoft XBOX controller. (Here in Hungary wired controller costs 58 USD, wireless package w. reciever is around 80 USD...)

A few more questions I have after I checked the plugin in MACH:

-There are a large number of choices of actions to mate buttons. Is it possible to have one button as a toggle button for CYCLE START / FEEDHOLD ?
-Triggers on the controller act as switches, right? (only analogs are the 2 thumbsticks?)
-Wouldn`t it be possible to add configurability to the pushbuttons on the thumbsticks and thet 4direction switch under the left stick?
-PC does not recognize the large X button in the middle?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:50:38 AM by hunserv »

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
1. I would get the controller from EBay.  It is cheaper and some vendors will ship for free.
2. One button for Cycle start/feedhold is not something I care to implement.  However, I think adding the seperate choices of Cycle start and feedhold is a good idea and I will look at it and see if I can implement it.
3.Triggers are analog also.  Check manual for how they are used.
4. Configuring the pushbutton on the thumbstick is not something I want to do.  The 4 direction switch (thumbpad) is already configured. Check manual.

Lee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »
THanks for the answers.
After I bought a controller I shall be happy with the current config as well I guess, I was just "brainstorming" about versatile setting possibilities, as start/hold, or e.g. tap on thumbstick could make step/normal jog, 4dir buttons could be then any other button, etc..
but as i have not used a controller yet, I have no experience of what would be really handy. I just start with what`s available.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 02:54:12 PM »
Hi Lee,

If you don't mind, I've some more questions:

When assigning buttons: RUN FILE, REWIND, STOP FILE, PAUSE, SINGLE STEP are the same as cycle start, rewind, Stop, Feedhold, Single block buttons, or some other code?
There are also a few more options I do not get the meaning in the config of the controller... (jog mode onc/cont/mpg, touch tool, jog increment++ etc...)

Somewhere there should be a list of OEM codes, would that help understanding all these expressions?

Last one for today:

I have on the standard screenset FRO and spindle speed control. I do not see the jog % or jog speed settings... where should I see those? At the moment I guess they are at max, as trigger does not change jog speed on the contoller...