Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:36:31 AM

Author Topic: Probe/Tool Setter Info  (Read 7954 times)

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
Probe/Tool Setter Info
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:48:21 PM »
 ???I use Macxh3 on my micro mill and been thinking about purchasing a Tool Setter (ENCO 308-0391) and reasonable priced Probe (Know nothing about Probes) with the thought they would help reduce setup time and increase accuracy of positioning and accuracy of part being machined.  Am I on the right track or should I just go with the tool setter?  What kind of Probe would I use?  Here is the Toll Setter.  Thanks,  Ray
Re: Probe/Tool Setter Info
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:14:56 PM »
???I use Macxh3 on my micro mill and been thinking about purchasing a Tool Setter (ENCO 308-0391) and reasonable priced Probe (Know nothing about Probes) with the thought they would help reduce setup time and increase accuracy of positioning and accuracy of part being machined.  Am I on the right track or should I just go with the tool setter?  What kind of Probe would I use?  Here is the Toll Setter.  Thanks,  Ray

You can use that, but it's completely unnecessary.  Go to your local electronics store, and buy a small piece of copper-clad PCB material.  Solder a wire to one side of it, connect that wire to the PROBE input of Mach3, and you have the equivalent of that tool setter for a cost of about $0.  There are many sets of macros floating around for making use of that for doing your tool length setting.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »
Thanks Ray L.  Appreciate the info.  Sounds better than 45-60 bucks.  Ray

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »
HimyKabibble(RayL), Appreciate the info.  Where is the Probe Input to connect the wire?  Do I have to have another board or is it on my Xylotex board?  I said I didn't know diddly about what I needed.  Thank you,  Ray
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »
HimyKabibble(RayL), Appreciate the info.  Where is the Probe Input to connect the wire?  Do I have to have another board or is it on my Xylotex board?  I said I didn't know diddly about what I needed.  Thank you,  Ray

Ray,

*Any* input can be the PROBE input.  It would normally connect to any input on your breakout board, with a pull-up resistor to +5V, then go into Mach Config->Ports&Pins->Inputs, and configure that input to be the PROBE signal.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »
Thanks again.  I don't have a breakout board that I know of.  I will look at the drawings that came with my controller board and look for INPUTs on that, connect the wire to one noting which input then go to Mach3 config.  How does Mach3 know where the wire is connected on the controller board? Is that what I do in Config?  Ray

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
HERE GOES. Place 10K resistor on end of wire coming from touch plate to Input Pin#10 on my controller board (Hope that is it).  Go into Mach3/Config/Ports&Pins...then into Input Signal/Activate Input#1..into Input Pin/input pin#1/Port1 & Pin#10(this is the pin on my board I used). 
After above is done when I use Mach3 and place plate on workpiece then move spindle/tool down to touch plate?????what happens???  Does DRO Z Axis zero out?
I really appreciate the help and hate to ask so many question.  Thanks, Ray   PS: If all of above is not right, let me know please.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »
HERE GOES. Place 10K resistor on end of wire coming from touch plate to Input Pin#10 on my controller board (Hope that is it).  Go into Mach3/Config/Ports&Pins...then into Input Signal/Activate Input#1..into Input Pin/input pin#1/Port1 & Pin#10(this is the pin on my board I used). 
After above is done when I use Mach3 and place plate on workpiece then move spindle/tool down to touch plate?????what happens???  Does DRO Z Axis zero out?
I really appreciate the help and hate to ask so many question.  Thanks, Ray   PS: If all of above is not right, let me know please.

Ray,

In Config->Ports&Pins, scroll down until you find "PROBE" in th left-most column.  That is the only input signal  Mach will use for probing.  Configure the PROBE input to Port 1, Pin 10.  Connect your touchplate wire *directly* to Port1 Pin 10, and connect a small resistor, perhaps 220 ohms, from that wire to +5V.  10K is way too big for a pullup.  You can use the G31 G-code command to cause the Z axis to move until the probe contacts the touchplate, but you're much better off using one of the many existing macros to do that, plus zero the DRO, etc.  Search the archives, there are LOTS of probing macros and screensets available.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 07:34:23 PM »
OK Ray L., that all I understand.  I won't bother you again today. You have been aa great help and I appreciate it and thank you for that.  The only reason I said 10K ohm resistor is Xylotex datasheet said use that on limit switch input.  (I know that is not a limit swithc hookup, but that was me).  Thanksz again, ray