Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:52:16 AM

Author Topic: my first ever cnc machine build  (Read 9280 times)

my first ever cnc machine build
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:14:56 AM »
Hi

I have built a cnc woodrouter

www.makingcncmachine.blogspot.com

the pictures are not updated

Computer: windows XP pro, single core 3.4ghz processor , 2 gb ramm, rage 128 32mb pci video card

Controller: (from stepperworld.com) fet3 dynamo with moffet upgrade and 190 oz/in stepper motors running at 12v on 18 gauge wire

Machine: homemade 4'X4' footprint 38"X40" work area gentry type, lead screw held with bearing and nuts, 1/4" alltread for lead screws

anyway I am having a problem with mach3. the z axis, it will not calibrate, I can do the stepper unit setup and it says that it is set but then I move the z in the other direction and it either comes up short or long but never like it is suppose too. HELP

When I hit the z jog it starts to move then it like freezes and kinda vibrates then as I let off the jog button it starts to move again and stops

also I am changing out the 1/4" allthread lead screws (21 threads per inch )  for 1/2" allthread lead screws (13 threads per inch ) to reduce the steps per inch, I have changed the z but not the x or y yet, will all axis not being the same size lead screw throw it off?

does it matter if I am using a usb optical mouse? as when the motors are running and I move the mouse across the mach 3 screen I can hear the motors twitch

I dont think that the z axis problem is the lead screws I think its the program or something else.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:36:31 PM by b_animal »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: my first ever cnc machine build
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »
The combination of the Stepperworld drive, 12volts, and 1/4-20 leadscrew equals very slow speeds. On your Z axis, cut the accel and velocity in half and see if it's better.

Switching to 1/2" screws will be better, but going to  1/2-10 acme would be even better, and about the same price. The acme is much more efficient.

Also, switch from 12V to the highest voltage you can. Although with the stepper world, you may need expensive current limiting resistors which waste a lot of power and create a lot of heat.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »
congrats on your build.  I'm doing another push getting mine done too.  Keep up the good work.  I'd like to see your first cuts.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:14:46 AM »
OK

I got it figured out and now I can get it to run like it is suppose too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

now all I have to do, is finish switching over to the 1/2" allthread, and I should be able to do my first real cut on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:56 AM »
Look forward to seeing lots of stuff you have made with your new machine.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 02:05:05 AM »
I have been playing with the sample files and I have got it honed in, but the 1/4" allthread is getting bound up with dust

it will be running good and then gets bound up and throws it off.

got my camera charged up and will be taking some new pictures and video clips.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 07:50:50 AM »
Will all axis not being the same size lead screw throw it off?
ANS: No, it willl not matter, just make sure your steps / unit are correct

Does it matter if I am using a usb optical mouse? 
ANS: Run the driver test and during the the test move your the mouse around . I get a lot of spikes while some others do not. Some folks have had problems with an optical nouse and some don't have any. I don't know why!
 BTW, suggest you not play with your mouse while the program is running.  ;)
RICH
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 02:32:14 PM »
Yeah in the driver test I did get a bunch of spikes when I move the mouse around

but I have it working

it was off 1/8th of an inch in 39 inches but that could have been crap on the allthread :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:36:27 PM by b_animal »
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:18:15 PM »
I have trouble with my PC and USB memory drives. I can be running a program held on the C drive and the steppers will bang and freeze and do all sorts of nonsense while the flash drive is plugged in. Not sure about mice but I'll keep using my serial mouse for now. it works so i won't fix it.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
mine does fine with the flash drive.

I have more pics posted too!

www.makingcncmachine.blogspot.com