Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 06:13:05 AM

Author Topic: Different Cuts  (Read 6407 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Different Cuts
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »
On the attached file, I want to use one bit to cut the perimeter of the sign and a different bit to do the engraving.

I will assume that I first have to do the engraving and then the perimeter cutting.

Is this considered a difficult CNC task?

What would be the required steps to do that?
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Different Cuts
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »
You have two options. Either two different g-code programs, ot a single program with a tool change. Either way, you run the first part, change tools, re-zero the Z axis, and cut the second part.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »
I'm new here but I have been doing 2 seperate programs and it has worked out very good.

Bill

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
You have two options. Either two different g-code programs, ot a single program with a tool change. Either way, you run the first part, change tools, re-zero the Z axis, and cut the second part.

Good man Gerry thanks

But to learn, I would like to know both options

I guess to make two different gcode programs from a single design I will have to first save the original design and then re open it under a different name, delete the parts I don’t need and make the gcode. Then do the same for the rest of the design. Is this correct ?

To make one single program I will have to find on the gcode where the first part ends and then insert:
STOP (How do I put a stop on the gcode?)
G0 X0Y0
START (How do I put a start on the gcode?)

When the machine stops I will change the tool and press start again?
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 09:26:09 PM »
M6 is tool change. At the start, put in:

M6 T1 (for tool #1)

Then, for the second tool, put:

M6 T2

In General Config, top left corner, under "Tool Change", selet "Stop Spindle, Wait for cycle start". Mach will stop and let you change the tool, then continue when you press start. On one of the screens, you can set the tool change location that it will go to and wait for you to change tools.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 10:39:27 PM »
Nicolas,
If you do your drawing such that each machinng task  you want to do is on a seperate layer, then on import those layers  ( also the layer name ) will be maintained. You can unenable a layer in LC by unchecking the box in the Layer Menu. If the layer is not enabled then any maching parameters for it will not be included in the posted code. 

So, you can post to Mach a machining operation, go back to LC, turn off and turn on some layers and repost to MAch
if you wanted to work in that fashion. All in the LC manual.
RICH

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 11:21:01 PM »
Gerry and RICH that is great help, much appreciated

I like the idea of the layers and now I remember I saw it somewhere either in the manual or the video. Sorry about it but in the last couple of months that I started working with Mach / LC there is so much info to absorb and can’t remember it all.

Thank you both very much
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
I got the CNC going again this morning and following RICH’s hints about layers and all went fine, except…

I organized the layers in LC in 3 groups;

Group 1 was all the interior design and worked like a charm
Group 2 was the 3 words lettering but got a problem here, see below
Group 3 was the exterior perimeter and also worked like a charm

When I pressed start to get going on group 2, the bit moved to a position and it seems that was stuck in one place but the DRO’s were moving. Then I noticed on mach screen under “Feed Rate” there is a red bar which was flashing and a message saying “over ridden”. The feed rate was shown as 0.44” instead of 10”/min I had set it in LC. I stop the machine after 3 or 4 minutes and noticed the wood was burned around the engraving but the engraved latter was nice and accurate. What happened here?

Also before I started group 1, I edited the gcode with the Notepad to include in the last line what Hood had mentioned to me earlier in another thread:
N22680 M5
N22685 M30
N22690 G0 X0Y0
The last line was supposed to bring the machine at the offset 0,0 but it did not worked. The program finished, the bit was raised and that was the end. When I edit the code in Notepad I saved the file with the .tap extension. Why it did not worked?
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »
No one with an answer to my problems?
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline alenz

•  137 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 12:30:48 AM »
On the ‘Program Run” screen press the ‘M-Codes’ button at the bottom of the page and you will see that M30 is ‘Program end and rewind’. Thus your last line is beyond the end of your file and won’t ever be executed. Move it up a line so it is run before the end of the file (M30) and you should be OK.
HTH
al