Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:07:48 AM

Author Topic: Softlimits - Message  (Read 11081 times)

Softlimits - Message
« on: September 02, 2006, 09:36:37 AM »
Running ver. 1.90.081.  Keep getting "Softlimits may be exceeded -"  message when loading files - even when the workpiece will be well within the edges of table and mill head extremes.  Not a real problem, just a hassle to have to keep clicking the "Continue," button.

Should this feature take workpiece measurements, supposed table position, and limits into consideration? Or, is the warning called everytime a new G-code file is loaded?

Thanks
Re: Softlimits - Message
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 12:54:15 PM »
This is being looked at and I there should be a fix in the next version or so...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
Brian,
V2.62 here.
Having this same issue.
Find anything ?
Thanks,
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »
RC
 that problem was solved long ago, you shouldnt be getting it now. Does it happen with most files or just specific ones? Which axis is it reporting as out of limits, you should see that in the ticker error box.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »
Hello Hood,
I just finally set up the soft limits and slow zones. It works perfectly when jogging.
The file is a compilation of 2 wizards with some hand coding....nothing fancy. This is the only one I've run since setting up the limits, I'll try some others later. It reports the X axis (Turn). I have the home/limit sw. at the extreme X-. Soft limits are X.2 to X7. The entire part program is in the area of X2 to X5.
It appears to be comparing soft limits to part coords in X...Z is OK.
Thanks,
RC

The Z axis is checked "Reversed" and "Home Negative".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 02:27:46 PM by Overloaded »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »
Sounds like you may have the soft limits set wrong. You say X- extreme for your limit switch, is this beyond the centre of the spindle?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
Hood,
Yes, I just mounted the home/limit switch at the x neg. end of it's travel. And in homing selected Home Neg. That works OK. I think the manual says either way is OK.
The Z switch is at Z pos. end.
So every thing will be X+ (soft limits X+0.2 to X+6.0)  and  Z- (Soft limits Z-0.2 to Z-2.8 )
For X, I had "Dir Low active" checked and X "Reversed" checked in Homing/ Limits.
They are now both unchecked. No difference. Like one reverses the other...anyway.
After loading several files, the x / y limit DRO's on the run screen don't resemble anything similar to the code.. machine OR part coords.
  Both Z and X have + and - values. Are they supposed to be in Machine or Part coords ?

Everything else works perfectly...referencing, homing, jogging, slow zones to soft limits in all 4 directions.
R2.60 is in that particular lathe. Is that too old maybe ?

I guess what's weird is after clicking to resume, NO soft limits are tripped...ever.
Thanks Hood,
RC
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:15:14 PM by Overloaded »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »
The softlimits are in machine coords so you if your X home is at the X minus extreme your soft min should be Zero and your soft max should be the travel of your axis.
 Do you have a way of repeating your tools when changing them? ie do you have a turret or QC toolpost or even stops for the tools going against.
 If you do then you really want to set up a home off so that when you reference your X it will give its position in relation to the X axis. Then you can set up the rest of your tools in relation to your master tool. That means no matter which tool you have when your programme to turn a dia it will be that dia.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
OK so do a wee test for me, have your Soft Limits active and do a home, you should get an error message saying you are outwith softlimits or similar. This is because when homed you are on 0 and you have your softlimits set as 0.2.
Does this happen?
Hood
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 07:57:52 PM »
Yes Hood, That does happen...as I believe it should.
The docs. describe the Soft limits being set off of the switches a bit.. (to be sure they are NOT hit) or where ever you like. Referencing ignores the Soft Limits and I turn them off to Home.
The tooling you mentioned is no problem right now.
The Problem is....
                  The Soft limits work perfectly when jogged to the extremes of each axis.
                  The ENTIRE Part program is WELL within this boundry and runs without a hitch ONLY after having to hit Continue at the Soft Limit Warning.

Thanks,RC