Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:42:54 PM

Author Topic: Cambam / gMax  (Read 25992 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Cambam / gMax
« on: September 05, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »
Just downloaded Cambam and gMax free versions. They both seems good 3D software

Anyone with Pros / Cons for each?
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Cambam / gMax
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:52:41 AM »
I'm not sure what you are after as they are completely different types of software. CamBam generates G-code from existing models/drawings, GMax is a 3D modeling package.

After a lot of requests by my customers I spent a few months reviewing all the CAD/CAM packages in the 'hobbyist' price range, CamBam was my favorite as it is easy to use, produces good code, and does both 2D and 3D. I liked it so much that I now sell it! For 3D modeling it is hard to beat MOI: http://moi3d.com/. It works great and it is easy to use. I like to use AutoDesk Inventor too but it is WAY more expensive.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 03:08:02 PM »
There is a plugin for gmax called cnc toolkit, I believe. I would suspect that unless you already have experience with polygonal modeling, there would be a steep learning curve associated with it, and that might be time that's better invested in another more capable or user friendly program. It's been a few years since I've messed with it, so it may have advanced by leaps and bounds as far as I know.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »
Thank you both

Sorry I didn’t explain before but as a CNC beginner I know that in the future I would like to work on 2D /3D models and therefore I’m looking for an easy and FREE 2D / 3D software which can either generate gCode or make DXF files.

Gmax has a nice and easy interface but does not make what I want so it’s out of my list. The CNC ToolKit is not free.

CamBam also has a nice and easy interface and fits my needs nicely. So I may stick with it.

I also have Acad V14 but never used it for 3D modeling. In addition I don’t like Acads interface.

I also have Blender 2.48a and I used this software for modeling and animation about 4 years ago. Very difficult to learn but once you get used to it, I find it beautiful FREE 3D software. In addition it used to have a very helpful and extensive forum and lots of free tutorials on the web.

Don’t know very much about CamBam and therefore I will have to work with it a bit more to decide between it and Blender
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
I’m back at this subject because I would like to give another try to make my own 2D/3D images.

In the last month I evaluated Sheetcam, Mashcan, and Cut2D/3D but I was not comfortable to choose either and so I ended up purchasing the LazyCam Pro which for now seems to fill my needs. To be honest, I must say that I like very much the LC interface and I probably would have spent more to purchase it; at $75.00 it was a real bargain for me.

So now that I have LC to make my gcode I’m looking to get some free CAD programs to gain more experience generating my own 2D/3D images.

I came across the cnc4free.org site and there is a fairly big download in the Tutorials section called “The Free Creative CNC Solution”. The tutorial is pretty good describing how to use GIMP & GMax to create whatever you want. There is also the “CNC_Toolkit” plugin for GMax but have not been able to get that plugin despite that I followed all the links and register in the Yahoo groups as you supposed to do to get it.

Searching this forum I also found a thread about Blender and now I know that Blender, although an excellent free 3D program has some limitation exporting dxf files.

Has anyone used the Gimp / Gmax programs?

Any suggestions for other similar programs?

Nicolas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 05:06:02 PM »
Gerry that link only wants to open the file “4.03L.ms
Nicolas

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
I believe that IS the CNC Toolkit.

Here's the basic instructions to get started:
Copy the script to your script directory, i.e.. C:\3DSMAX\Scripts.
Run the script from Menu, MaxScript, RunScript. On any error just run the script again.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
Thanks Gerry, I got it

Found the attached info on the web, and along with the 4.30L.ms I now have the CNCToolkit control panel on Gmax

Diving into unknown grounds here but its worth to give it a crack
Nicolas

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
Cambam has a lot to offer for the money and just today i was looking at it since it's developing  Lathe capability.
For 3d stuff i am using AutoCad to create STL files and then using MeshCam to generate the code.

Every "free" program i have tried is always limited in some manner and after a while it becomes a PITA trying out different software.
That said i guess it depends what your used to. But if you have no CAD then one needs to explore for a program that makes up for it.

Of course cost enters into software and as the saying goes.........YOU CAN HAVE ANYTHING YOU WANT FROM THE SELF BUT ONCE YOU SELECT THE ITEM YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!

RICH