Hello Guest it is August 19, 2019, 02:37:13 AM

Author Topic: Scaling in Mach 3 question  (Read 2385 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,360 2,360
    • View Profile
Scaling in Mach 3 question
« on: September 10, 2009, 06:54:57 PM »
Hey there,

Say I have a GCode that I received from a friend that is a 3d file of a horse from MeshCam.

It's quite large at around 8" X 16" with a Z depth of about an inch. If I use the scale factor on the program run screen next to each of the DRO's, setting it to .500,  that makes it half of the original overall size, I get that part.

Now, for the stupid question, does that automatically make the toolpath smaller as well? In other words, for the finish pass, the cutter used is .125 so if I'm cutting that in half, I should be using a 1/16th cutter now, correct?

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Chris.Botha

•  486 486
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
Re: Scaling in Mach 3 question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »
i have used scaling a bit and found it to be iffy at best for my level of work at anything over 1.15 or smaller than 0.85. since the path was written for a specific size tip you would have to alter tip size accordingly. some issues like paths written for tapered cutters cause grief because as the scaling gets smaller the included angle of the cutter has to as well or you WILL clip higher parts and straight wall sections.

i only use it as a quick way to scale rings in X for more width on plain rotary jobs without having to redraw and repath an entire ring.

Offline budman68

•  2,360 2,360
    • View Profile
Re: Scaling in Mach 3 question
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 07:15:36 PM »
Thanks, Chris, I believe your level of work and need for close tolerances is way above this Code, but thanks for weighing in and it's definitely good food for thought if anything intricate comes along.  ;)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)