Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:02:43 AM

Author Topic: Please assist newbie  (Read 4502 times)

Please assist newbie
« on: November 14, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »
Hey Gang,

I've read the manual and done a few searches but have run short of patience.  Hope you don't mind a stupid question.

I purchased all of components for a CNC stepper setup, to convert my mill/drill.  Built all of the hardware (power supply, Gecko drives, etc.).  Installed Mach3 (older version).  Connected a pendant and drives.  Setup Mach3.  After a bit of tweaking, everything basically worked the first time, after figuring out the ports and setup.

Then I uninstalled the older version of Mach3 and saved the folder by renaming, thinking I would be saving the setup files.

Followed by installing the newest version of Mach3.  Everything is fine, but of course my port setups are defaults.

What files do I move into the new folder to preserve my setup please?  I moved the Mach3mill.xml file but that apparently doesn't have the port setup.  I see an inputoutput file in the older folder, but no corresponding file in the newer version - one called just "inputs".  Are the port settings files different between versions?

Again, sorry to bug you with such a stupid question, but it was painful to get everything working the first time and it was almost a year ago.  Those brain cells have suffered some loss since then...

thanks in advance,
Scotty

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Please assist newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
The xml is the settings file but possibly you had set up a custom profile ? If so it is the xml with the name of the profile you made that you need.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »
Thanks Hood.

No, I only had one profile previously.

The older version of Mach3's profile is 40K.  The newer one is twice that - hopefully that doesn't matter.

The new Mach3 fires up without complaint, but when viewing the port configs, they are all at the defaults - no ports set at all for inputs and outputs.

Scotty

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 04:34:39 PM »
can you attach the xml that you saved, I will look here.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 04:50:21 PM »
OMG.  I can't believe how stupid I am.  I was launching Mach3 from the executable, not using the loader.  Apparently without using the loader, NO profile is loaded - I thought at least the default profile would load.

That's a newbie for you.

Sorry to have bothered you.  All appears to work when you actually load a profile!  DOH.....

Scotty

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:53:56 PM »
LOL, no problems but the loader is the exe. Are you meaning the profile shortcut you were using? if so then it should have pointed to your profile if using the standard one.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »
Yes, the shortcut.  It's default profile was "Mill".  Changed it to Mach3mill and all is well there too. 

So many new terms, so little gray matter.

Hey - at least it all works!  I feel pretty good about accomplishing this much.  Now to go cut some chips and get the ball screws and steppers installed.

See you all in another year (I hope).

Scotty

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
Have fun and I know the feeling about the years slipping past. Just got the latest retrofit moving, was planning on it taking a few months but work just got in the way, its been 2 years now LOL

Hood
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »
Hood,

Thanks again from one Scot to another - seriously, I'm Scottish on my mom's side.  Grand dad was right off the boat to Canada.

Good luck on your project as well!

Scotty

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »
LOL, no problem.