Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:45:18 PM

Author Topic: LATHE TOOL TABLE  (Read 9134 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: LATHE TOOL TABLE
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
Lathes use the format TAABB to define the tool number and the offset where AA is the Tool number and BB is the offset number. That means that the max number of tools is 99 and similar for the offsets.
The so called ToolTable is actually the Tool Offset Table and the max number of offsets you can have are as above 99.
 So T0199 or T8799 will use the same offset which for a lathe is basically useless BUT if you have T0201 or  T0299 then that could be usefull as you normally only have a limited amout of slots in your turret or toolpost (if an automatic changer type) so you can replace the tool you presently have in slot Two with another tool and if you have previously set up the offsets for that tool you just need to call the offset that is applicable (99 in the above example)

If you dont have an Auto Turret or toolpost but a manual quickchange then the same principle usually applies because it is likely you have a limited amount of toolholders so you would need to swap out tools in these holders if you wished to use a different tool than is currently in your holders. You would however have to have a method to replace tools in these holders so that they always get placed in the same position as they were previously. This could be a stop of some sort fixed into the tool holder.
 If however you had 99 toolholders  then it would be a simple matter of having offset 1 set up to tool 1, offset 2 set up to tool 2 etc etc up to offset 99 set to tool 99.

The reason I would imagine the Tool Offset Table shows the 253 is it will have just been copied over from Mill when Mach Turn was made.
 Brian will be moving onto Turn when he gets Rev 4 Mill finished so should be one of the things that is sorted out but when that will be I dont know.

Hood
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:24:03 PM by Hood »
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:39:55 PM »
Hi Hood i know you are the man but.

I renamed my Mach3 directory.

I have just installed version 3.04.027

I opened Mach3 it says Demo "I have a License" in my renamed folder

I opened the tool table i have 253 tools  ??? ??? ???
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:46:24 PM »
Have you restarted Mach since you put the licence in the folder? If it was placed in after you first start Mach then it will show demo until you restart Mach
 Is it the Mach1Lic.dat that you have in there and is it definitely in the root folder?
As said above the Tool Offset Table does show 253 tool offsets but afraid you ccan only use 99 because of the Industry standard way of calling tools on a Lathe which Mach follows.

Hood
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »
Sorry Hood i misunderstood you, it displays 253 but only 99 can be used.

So where are the offsets  ;D

Seriously, if 01 = 1 IE tool one where is offset 30
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:56:00 PM by Phil_H »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »
If you are meaning where are YOUR offsets, in other words you had them in the previous install of Mach but no longer have them then you need to copy over the Tools3.dat from your previous install location. You will find it in the macro folder of the profile you are using. For example if you have it installed in the default location and are using the default Turn profile then it is  in C:\Mach3\Macros\Mach3Turn folder.

You can only shorten the first part of the tool call, the first part is the tool number so T0303 is Tool 3 Offset3 as is T303. If you want tool 30 offset 30 then your tool call will be T3030.

Hood

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:17:31 PM by Hood »
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 06:38:03 AM »
When I call any tool and tell it to go to a dia it will go there, this is because I have all tool offsets set in the tooltable.
 I have very accurate homing on the lathe and I use a Home Off distance so that tool 1 is at centre when I command X0, all the rest of the tools are offset from tool s so it follows that when I call them they too are where they are meant to be.

Hood

Hi Hood

Can you confirm that the offset is on the Homing/Limits Tab and the methodology you used to achieve it.

Phil

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:45:53 AM by Phil_H »