Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:18:11 AM

Author Topic: scanning human body?  (Read 8017 times)

scanning human body?
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:16:06 AM »
I've been watching the probing posts for a while and kudos to those who are pioneering the efforts here I have a few questions.

I'm looking to scan a living human body. From the scan I need to get a usable file I can machine into something useful. (think of machining a mannequin from foam)

I don't need resolution to see fingerprints and the like but would like to capture the basic curves of the body.

Is this do-able with the video probing software that is currently being developed as a Mach plugin?

Thanks!

Re: scanning human body?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »

I'm looking to scan a living human body. From the scan I need to get a usable file I can machine into something useful. (think of machining a mannequin from foam)

I don't need resolution to see fingerprints and the like but would like to capture the basic curves of the body.

Is this do-able with the video probing software that is currently being developed as a Mach plugin?

Yes, if you have the right size equipment.

My Scan3d plugin is intended for a 3 axis stage like a CNC mill or router. I would use a large enough router that the person can recline on the machine table. The camera/laser equipment would be in place of the spindle. Range and  resolution would depend on your needs.

Scan3d does not handle rotating axes at this time but there is no reason it cannot do so in the future. 

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 08:55:04 AM »
What is Scan 3D plugin?

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »
What is Scan 3D plugin?

Thanks

There are only 2 plugins that I know of for mach3 to do video scanning for 3d profiling. The original one is written by Art and the more recent one by me. I call mine Scan3d for now and have posted it along with open source code.

The most recent activity is here:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10959.0.html

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net