Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:41:13 AM

Author Topic: Just got a lathe to retrofit  (Read 177331 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Just got a lathe to retrofit
« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2012, 02:07:53 PM »
Got the main parts welded up, had to use 20mm thick for the sides rather than the 15 I had in the design as thats all I had that was long enough. That meant I had to have it protruding by 5mm either side of the back part but wont really matter.
With a bit of luck next week  I will get the outer sides cut and welded in, the  bush housings, bushes and shaft made up  and then it will be on to making the hydraulic cylinder.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #231 on: February 06, 2012, 03:25:34 AM »
It's getting heavy so moving it around the shop is getting a serious task ;)

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 06, 2012, 05:04:16 AM »
Sure is Dan and its away to be heavier as the only steel I have for the sides is 1" thick, had planned on 15mm ;D

I suppose it being heavy can only be a good thing as it should make it more rigid.

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2012, 06:16:43 AM »
Yep, Hood, it's only a good thing or at least as long as you won't have to reduce acceleration.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 06, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
Shouldnt be a problem, the front post I took off weighed in at over 75Kg.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2012, 06:05:51 PM »
Not got much done except getting the outer sides welded on and welds ground flush(ish ;D ).
 Did however have a good look at the front turret today and did some measuring. I think I can reuse the shaft, cylinder, belt and pulleys I have on it so that will save a fair amount of work and some money :)
 I was wanting to keep the front turret intact just in case I find a need for it somewhere else but if I do then I can always make a new shaft and cylinder later on.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »
Made the mounting bracket for motor/gearbox today and then decided to pull the cylinder and shaft off the front turret so I could see what exactly I had to make up for mounting them. Decided I might as well just go the whole hog and pull the complete turret, hopefully I will get  the turret finished before I need to do any serious internal work. I still have two manual lathes that I use quite a bit but anything with tapers or threads, especially internally is much easier on the CNC.
 I mounted the motor/gearbox to the turret and offered up the shaft and cylinder to see how they looked, hopefully tomorrow I will get the bush housings made and may even get as far as mounting the cylinder.
Heres a couple of pics, my lathe looks bare without the front turret ;D
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »
Oh also meant to say, I was surprised how small internally the cylinder is. I was planning on making a cylinder that had 1.5 tonne pull and was wondering if that would be enough, well this one works out at only 0.75 tonne and its worked great :)
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »
Got a bit more done, got the bush housings made, bushes made, hyd cylinder mount made, cylinder fitted, belt, pulleys and motor/gearbox fitted.
Still have the shaft to cut shorter and make and fit a flange to attach to shaft/turret plate, bore/tap the mounting holes for the turret housing half of the curvic coupling and also have to mount the limit switches that detect the clamp/unclamp.
After that it will  be fitting it to the lathe, getting the final height and then dismantling and machining the base to the correct height, I am approx 1mm higher than it will be, I hope ;D.
Pic below of what I have done and my quality control inspection guy having a look, not sure if its got the thumbs (paws) up but he let me throw the ball for him just a bit later so looking hopeful :)

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »
Getting closer, today I managed to make the flange for the shaft/turret plate coupling up and shortened the shaft and got it bored and tapped. Unfortunately the split nut on the back cracked right through whilst undoing it today so I will have to make a new one. Dont think I have a threading bar that is small enough to do a 20mm thread so will probably have to grind up a bit of HSS to do it. Once I have that complete I have the holes to bore and tap for the curvic coupling to main housing and then I suppose its time to remove the rear turret from the lathe and try and fit this one.
Hood