Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 10:51:33 AM

Author Topic: Climb milling a pocket  (Read 14133 times)

Climb milling a pocket
« on: August 14, 2009, 05:49:28 PM »
I have spent a few days trying everything to get a square pocket to cut in a circular pattern in a CCW (climb mill) direction. I am using LazyCam 3.00.2. I have set everything to every setting and still no luck. I clicked CCW when creating the pocket. I tried the leadin "climb mill" dialog. I have read the Manual in the pocket section 3 or 4 times.

What am i missing? Is it just that LC can only conventional mill a pocket? It it a glitch in the newest version?

Thanks in advance.

vmax549

Re: Climb milling a pocket
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
Open drawing, pocket drawing , delete original outline, select the layer go to leadins, select inside left

press"S" to simulate the moves to see IF it goes CCW.

Works fine here

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:44:08 PM »
It cuts the pocket CW (Conventional) and then cuts the offset CCW (Climb)

What version of LC are you using

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:31:46 PM »
Hi, Steve

The version is the latest, You need to change the direction and look at the dir arrows, Use the S key to simulate the cut, S key to turn sim off, Then post the code.

Hear are 3 examples and a Lset  to look at.

Chip

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:21:17 PM »
Steve,
REV 1 of the manual will have a seperate tutorial which goes deeper into the offsets and pockets, the cut direction,
moving the leadin / lead out. Till then, sorry you didn't find what you were looking for in the manual.
Remember that you can look at the cutting order of the layer/chain/entities, then just highlight / follow the entities down the list as that is the order of cutting.

In the mean time your already in good hands.  ;)
RICH

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 07:23:25 AM »
I dont see a pocket in your example, only an offset.

When I create a pocket, A pocket and an offset are created, the offset being the final cut. I can cut the offset/final cut both directions. What i cant do is do the actual pocketing in a CCW direction.

Hi, Steve

The version is the latest, You need to change the direction and look at the dir arrows, Use the S key to simulate the cut, S key to turn sim off, Then post the code.

Hear are 3 examples and a Lset  to look at.

Chip
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:54:04 AM by stevehuck »
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 07:52:47 AM »
The offsets are not a problem. I can change the direction, leadin size and shape, anything. It's the actual pocket that i cant get to do what i want. If i set the pocket to in-out it cuts CW and if i set the pocket to out-in it cuts CCW. Both ways are conventional milling and i am trying to pocket climb milling.

What i am trying to do is pocket from In-out and cut from the center to the outer diamerer in a CCW rotation, then offset cut the last .005.

I can select the layer to be cut, click the pocket tab, choose the tool, choose Spiral, CCW, and IN-OUT and click create pocket.

I go back to the project tab to find a new pocket and a new offset. I select the offset then click leadin settings and make the final cut do anything i want. At this point, nothing i do has an effect on the pocket. I have tried the leadin settings for the pocket and no change.

Also I cant use "s" to simulate because it fly's around so fast i cant tell what it is doing. Is there a way to adjust the speed.

I have been able to get everything else figured out. LC works pretty good!

Steve,
REV 1 of the manual will have a seperate tutorial which goes deeper into the offsets and pockets, the cut direction,
moving the leadin / lead out. Till then, sorry you didn't find what you were looking for in the manual.
Remember that you can look at the cutting order of the layer/chain/entities, then just highlight / follow the entities down the list as that is the order of cutting.

In the mean time your already in good hands.  ;)
RICH

vmax549

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »
Steve simply REVERSE the direction of the cut to a direction of your liking

Hang in there . LCAM can be a stiff learn but SO  are ALL  other CAMS?

Rich is really helping you guys out with the manual. It is not perfect YET but he is working on it. (;-)

THanks Rich, (;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 02:10:48 PM »
Steve simply REVERSE the direction of the cut to a direction of your liking

Where or how do i simply reverse the direction of the cut?

Is it in the dialog where i create the pocket?

Do i select the pocket in the project tab and then click something else?

I like this LC. I'll get the hang of it someday.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »
Hmm...
You can just go to the layer and click the leadin and redo the selection for the lead in.
Something  importrant worth mentioning...... in Gcode programing there are some rules that are usually followed.
I need to look at the posted code and see for myself.
RICH