Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:43:43 AM

Author Topic: Bridgeport Series I with Acu-Rite II DRO and power feed  (Read 4350 times)

Bridgeport Series I with Acu-Rite II DRO and power feed
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:05:32 AM »
Hello all:

First, I've downloaded and read the Mach3 manual (PDF).  I'm going to ask what will probably sound like some pretty naive questions regarding actual hardware, but here goes.

1) If I acquire a fairly late model Bridgeport Series I with Acu-Rite II DRO and power feed, doesn't the dedicated DRO become somewhat redundant given the functionality of Mach3 ?

2) I assume the existing power feed servos will interface with Mach3 via an appropriate controller? . . .or

3) To what extent can the existing Acu-Rite DRO interface with an additional controller, or otherwise serve as or be modified to serve as the controller.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgeport Series I with Acu-Rite II DRO and power feed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
Hello all:

First, I've downloaded and read the Mach3 manual (PDF).  I'm going to ask what will probably sound like some pretty naive questions regarding actual hardware, but here goes.

1) If I acquire a fairly late model Bridgeport Series I with Acu-Rite II DRO and power feed, doesn't the dedicated DRO become somewhat redundant given the functionality of Mach3 ?

It in effect becomes totally redundant unless you wish to keep it just for the sake of it.

2) I assume the existing power feed servos will interface with Mach3 via an appropriate controller? . . .or

Unlikely you will be able to use them if you are meaning the Servo brand power feeds that are normally retrofitted to manual bridgeports. What you need for Mach is a real servo motor, AC or DC or a stepper with its associated drive, my preference is AC Servo but they are not cheap new. I have steppers on my Bridgeport and it works well but not as well as it would have with AC Servos. ;)

3) To what extent can the existing Acu-Rite DRO interface with an additional controller, or otherwise serve as or be modified to serve as the controller.

It cant, you could keep it with the scales as a stand alone measurement reference or if the scales are ttl output you could put them into Mach and use them for a measurement reference if using the machine manually. If you are good with VB then you could write a macropump that would monitor the scales inputs and fault Mach if the difference between them and where Mach thinks it is is too great but really that would only be needed if you fitted steppers as they are open loop. Having said that if your steppers are properly sized and tuned then it is highly unlikely that you will lose steps anyway.
 If you fitted servos you could possibly use the glass scales instead of encoders on the  servos but unless the machine is very tight with very minimal backlash it would just cause problems as the drives would constantly be hunting the servos trying to keep them in position.

Hood
Re: Bridgeport Series I with Acu-Rite II DRO and power feed
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »
Many thanks!   You just saved me from spending money in the wrong place. :)