Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:30:41 AM

Author Topic: Linking DXF origin with tool table  (Read 2857 times)

Linking DXF origin with tool table
« on: August 10, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
With the help of Rich with a LazyCam question, I've cut a clock gear in plywood as a precursor to cutting brass. No teeth yet, just the cutouts for 6 spokes, the inner hole and the perimeter.

The problem is that I haven't figured out how to set the Taig mill's tool table coordinates to match up exactly with the drawing. The Mach3 chapter on Coordinates goes into great detail but I haven't figured out a fast way to make sure the cuts based on the drawing are in the right place on the table. What is the suggested origin for a CAD drawing, lower left corner, center? Given that, where is the Taig jogged to?

vmax549

Re: Linking DXF origin with tool table
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:22:12 PM »
(;-) The origin(0,0)  can technically be anywhere you want it to be.

Most use the lower lefthand corner of the part drawing so everthing is in the positve directions. It is easier to keep track of things as you normally never cross the 0,0 centerlines into the neg range.

(;-) Just for clarity the refence would be to the WORK table not the tool table. THe tool table is something completely different(;-)
(;-) TP

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:35:21 PM by vmax549 »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
Hmm....
When you click "ref all home" and click each axis so the DRO's all read zero, then no offset exists and machine coord's = program coord's ( you can easily check ). Now when you bring in your program, or post from LC, the origin of posted file is equal to origin of machine so to speak, then all you need to worry about is that you have enough +x and +y axis table movement.

BTW, for a lot of circular stuff i do, manny times i use the center of the circle, but, all positive numbers are better to work with. But then, if i have to put it back on the machine and do something i have an easy shape to find the center of.

Hope i got it right,
RICH
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies - and Rich, you seem to be everywhere. I'm getting there bit by bit and will play around with setting everything to zero. BTW, the spokes of the wheel vary between .132 and .176 instead of the true .125 so I've got some debugginhg to do - probably hardware related. CNC isn't rocket science in that there isn't a tremendous learning curve ahead, just a collection of them: CAD, CAM, electronics, LAzyCam, Mach3 and general machining.