Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:52:44 PM

Author Topic: Chopped Micro Stepping Controller  (Read 3785 times)

Chopped Micro Stepping Controller
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:57:28 PM »
I just read in section 4.4.1 of the latest Mach3 documentation & found a little over half way down the page steppers need to be driven by a Chopped Micro Stepping controller. What is that ??? I have a 1995 gantry that has run well with the Oriental 5 Phase steppers & drivers. I just need better motion system software. There is no resistance load on the gantry just the weight of the cross member. Anyway we will be replacing a 486 PC to use Mach3 for our motion. Could I have problems with old electronics? Will the drivers know the difference?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Chopped Micro Stepping Controller
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »
Modern stepper motors and drivers often give smoother performance compared to older ones. If you are happy with it, as it is now, then you  should be fine :)
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:27:03 PM »
When I watch YOUTUBE videos the Mach run machines are whining very loud. Our machine is a little loud once in a while but nothing like the ones onYOUTUBE. Is the whining due to lower cost drivers & motors. What are good steppers & drivers for Nema 34 size motors? Medium light duty.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:29:54 PM by Steve_B »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:04:29 AM »
I have Gecko G202 on the Bridgeport and the Chinese drives available in the UK from Arc Euro on the coil winder. The Geckos are smaller and I must admit I prefer them although to be honest there doesnt seem to be much difference in performance.
Hood

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:24:09 AM »
A comment on sound:

With the additional mass of the 4th axis to move around, my 'X" axis started loosing steps occasionally, so I am planning to replace it with a servo motor. Until I decide which motor I want as a permanent replacement, I replaced the 425 oz-in NEMA23 (parallel wired) with a 640 oz-in NEMA34 (series wired) stepper that I had left over from my 4th axis project. Gecko 203V drive @ 72V.

http://www.kelinginc.net/SMotorstock.html

While I have not done any performance testing or run any parts yet, I can tell you that the difference in sound is extreme.

The NEMA23 was a screamer and the NEMA34 is almost as quiet as a servo. So my little Fankenmill currently has a NEMA34 on the 'X" and the NEMA23 on the 'Y'. With a program running, all you hear is the little 23 motor screaming away.