Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:40:47 PM

Author Topic: Restarting after cutter breakage  (Read 5461 times)

Restarting after cutter breakage
« on: July 22, 2009, 08:45:06 AM »
Hope some one can help!

I am cutting a 3d wood figure on my router and just before it was done the tool path went back to a place near the beginning of the cut to finish something. I had install a small clamping block to keep the part from floating and the ballnose hit it and broke. :( I hit the stop button on mach and now I am wondering the best way to restart??? Do i need to reverse the run and set a line to restart from? How do I go about this with out running the whole cut again? It is a very large tool path and took about 7 hrs to get where I am now :(

Thanks for looking, any help would be great,
Nick

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: Restarting after cutter breakage
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »
Hi Nick,

First thing I'd do in this case is check the the part (X0,Y0,Z0)  point is maintained. Next, the best way to go to eliminate cutting the whole part again is using Run From Here. Beware: check what is the "safe Z" defined, when it will ask you to do the preparation move. Check where it is going to take the cutter on the preparation move and make sure nothing stands on its way. And don't forget to start the spindle ;)

Daniel
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:28:06 AM »
Thanks Daniel,

I was not standing at the router when the failure happened so I also need to know how to back it up. Hope that makes sence.

Thanks,
Nick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »
If you hit Stop when the axis was in motion you need to re-home your machine as there is a chance  it has lost position. Under normal circumstances you should press Hold first and after motion has stopped then you can safely press the Stop without losing position.
 To do a Run from Here you can scroll through the code and watch the toolpath display to see where you are, once you get to the position you wish then press the Run from Here button. As Daniel said you need to check that the prep move is correct before you restart,
 If however you have the demo version of Mach then Run from Here will not work.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:01:01 PM »
Thank you Hood you always come through!
I have the full version. I stoped it some where near line 253000.

How do I check that the prep move is correct?

Thanks again,
Nick
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 04:31:49 PM »
In the message box that will appear, it will tell you what is the prep move, check to make sure the Z axis will not hit the workpiece.

That's why you should verify how your safe Z is .

Jeff
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 08:37:40 PM »
OK new bit and rezeed everything, scrolled down to where I wanted to start from and hit run from here button, line 215420. Then I go to start the cycle and the prep move box pops up with the coordinates for line 84562 and starts running from there. Do I need to input the XYZ for line 215420 in the prep box to make it run from there???????? What does the run from here button really do????

Thanks,
Nick
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:39:02 PM »
Just try to hit cycle start again and see what machine will do.

Sometime, it will move to where it was before and then move back to where it is suppose to begin machining.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:52:39 AM »
One other note - if you have subs in your code then run from here will not run as you expect. It has no means to determine which loop you want it to start from.

Daniel
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
Daniel,
I don't know what you are referring to by subs in the code. And also what is the loop?
If I in put the line I want it to start  from in the prep box will that work?

Thanks,
Nick