Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:05:40 PM

Author Topic: Help me understand....  (Read 3104 times)

Help me understand....
« on: July 23, 2009, 07:44:35 AM »
Ok, I am about 95% of the way there (I think!  ;D). Last night I ran my first live test - tool in the router, router on, and workpiece (foam) on the table. I managed to run three small jobs and it worked! However, leading up to that, I spent about an hour in frustration, some of which I did figure out.

What I need help with is the measurement system. When I set Mach3 up, I just instinctively chose inches since it's what I am used to. I am using metric for most of the parts I am designing though. So, if I design a part in metric and then load the gcode into Mach, do I need to switch Mach to metric? If so, I assume I do this on the Settings tab and not through the config screen (heard that in the video tutorial).

Should the DRO's reflect the measurement system of the job or will they always show inches. Like I said, I did get three small jobs to run, but afterwards, I had a moment of "ok, how did I do that?".  ???

Thanks!

Dave
Re: Help me understand....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »
The unit are selected in your code with G20 and G21

Jeff
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
Right, but does that (should that) change the units in the DRO's? I am using Cut2d to generate my code and I don't think I saw either G20 or G21 in the code - need to verify that though.

Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »
You can choose what you see in the DROs, Config menu then General Config, Top Left.
 However if all your code is metric and you think metric then best to set the machine as metric I would think, certainly the way I would do it.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
Thanks Hood! That's what I needed to know!  ;D