Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:54:38 AM

Author Topic: Trouble getting MPG to work  (Read 3473 times)

Trouble getting MPG to work
« on: July 09, 2009, 05:14:30 AM »
I have a CNC4PC MPG2 pendant and C22 interface card installed.

In diagnostics mode, when pressing the enable switch and rotating the axis and resolution switches, I can see various combinations of the 7 "LEDs" illuminate to indicate the inputs from the X, Y, Z, and 4 axis', and the X1, X10, and X100 resolution switches.

I do not get any movement (Jog mode set to MPG and Jog turned ON) when rotating the wheel.

I do not see any LEDs illuminated that change with the rotation of the MPG wheel.  (I would think that 2 of the port 2 LEDs should be illuminating alternately as the wheel is turned... true?)

Jog does work with keyboard or on screen "button jog" inputs.

Any thoughts?  Ideas for further diagnosis?

Thx,
Scott Kelley

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble getting MPG to work
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:40:10 AM »
Dont have and have never had the CNC4PC pendant so not really sure how it works, having said that, if you press the Tab key and then on the flyout screen change to MPG does it now work?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 02:06:18 AM »
Hood - no, it doesn't work with Jog mode set to MPG.

I have learned more.  The problem seems to be that I am getting a signal from the MPG encoder pins only when Reset is ACTIVE in Mach.  When Reset is active (button flashing on Mach screen) I do get indicators on the status display in the Diagonostics screen as I rotate the MPG wheel.  So while it is in Reset mode, the encoder pins are working. 

When I press the Mach Reset button to take it OUT of Reset mode (the Reset button is no longer flashing, and all controls are now operable) the signal from the encoder pins no longer indicates on the status display in the Diagonostics screen.  At this time, the actual signals that I measure on the port are at a very low level - the high level is about .2 volts, and low level is about .o5 volts, (versus about .15 volts low and 4.70 volts high when Reset is active). 

So when reset is in the Run mode, either the MPG is not outputting anything, or the port pins are being pulled low by the computer.  It seems to me more like the latter, because there is some indication that the encoder is trying to drive those pins (Port 2, pins 3 and 4).

Any thoughts?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 02:31:48 AM »
Your best bet is probably contact Arturo and see what he suggests.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 03:34:49 PM »
Hi Scott

I was wondering how you made out with your MPG.  I read your post and I have exactly the same problem with the same make and model of hardware where everything but the wheel functions. Have you had any further success on getting it up and running.  Please post anything else you are trying.

Thanks
John