Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:32:46 AM

Author Topic: Servo amplifiers that work with dspMC  (Read 9983 times)

Servo amplifiers that work with dspMC
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:35:18 PM »
I've been intrigued with the dspMC and have wanted to do a servo conversion of an X3 mill using this controller box.  However, all of the servo drives (amplifiers) that I find web searching are all stand-alone closed loop systems; i.e. they may take a ±10V velocity signal, but they also expect the encoder to be attached to them.  Where do you find simple servo amplifiers that allow the dspMC to close the control loop?

I'm also looking at an EMC2 based solution using the Motenc-lite card and have the same issue there.  For EMC2 to take the encoder inputs and close the loop, you also need a simple amplifier and not one of the "smart" ones.

Cheers,

Tom
Re: Servo amplifiers that work with dspMC
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »
hi Tom,

I am pretty sure these drives will work fine.  the encoder signal can go to both the drive and the dspmc box.  this way you can get dual loop control, ie, speed regulation thru drive and position control by dspmc.  I have not tested this setup so can't be 100% sure.  One customer is going to use these types of drives and will know the results in few weeks. 

thanks
Rufi

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »
message forwarded on behalf of Sylvain
-----------------------------------------------------------

We use Omron 400W Servo drivers and Motors for our CNC 5050 Project,

R88D-GT04H              Drive
R88M-G40030H-S2    Motor

The Omron Servo Drive  have Encoder outputs on the CN1 connector,

I have joined a picture of the CN1 Connector, you can see A,B,Z encoder outputs

on the right side, I  think that most industrial servo drivers have theses outputs.

Other info,
I have done some control tests using DSPMC DAC output, the servo drive works best using Speed control mode.

Hope this is of any help!?

Sylvain Demers,  
EPG mecanik Inc.

Visit us www.epgmecanik.com

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:00:19 AM »
I've been intrigued with the dspMC and have wanted to do a servo conversion of an X3 mill using this controller box.  However, all of the servo drives (amplifiers) that I find web searching are all stand-alone closed loop systems; i.e. they may take a ±10V velocity signal, but they also expect the encoder to be attached to them.  Where do you find simple servo amplifiers that allow the dspMC to close the control loop?

I'm also looking at an EMC2 based solution using the Motenc-lite card and have the same issue there.  For EMC2 to take the encoder inputs and close the loop, you also need a simple amplifier and not one of the "smart" ones.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,
You should be able to tie the encoder into both the dspmc and the servo amp without any problems. The other possibility is that many of the drives will operate in torque mode without encoder input to the amp. Check the manufactures instructions. I am running my mill in torque mode with "dumb" amps and letting the dspmc handle the positional information. I am getting speeds of 300ipm with 500 count encoders. Works real well and you can many times pickup these amps on Ebay or other places for a song. I just picked up 3 amps and an 50v power supply for ~$100 shipped :). This will go on my lathe or secondary mill.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »
I'm using amc amps in voltage mode with good success.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
What model AMC amps are you using? I'm looking for a way to reprogram my AMC DX series amps. Can you help? Thanks, Metalstech
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 12:01:02 PM »
amc 30a8 amps

I have a thread on my machine in the show n tell your machine section of these forums.  I gave very complete info on my set up and tuning there.  Hope that helps.  I also found amc techs very helpful and friendly.