Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:41:42 AM

Author Topic: Can someone else varify a SS bug? while using the modbus?  (Read 13913 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone else varify a SS bug? while using the modbus?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 04:36:01 PM »
Found another Cause of the SS drop out!!!  (and thats a good thing!!).  I noticed that when I plugged in another USB to Serial adapter cable that the SS would drop out...   I had this other cable plugged in to do VFD drive parameters...

At any rate, I moved the SS to it own port  (BTW it was on a 2.0 port, but I put it on its own port that it didn't share).  At any rate, I plugged in the USB to serial cable to program the VFD and the SS dropped out immediatly (yes, I checked to make sure they where not using the same com port, etc.).

When I removed the USB, then the SS would be stable!!!  So far it has run for about 2 hours without dropping out.........   So now my suspecion is that the FTDI drive code is jacked up in the way the USB is done.......  But perhaps Greg can chime in here.....

So now, I turn off Mach3, plugin my other programming cable, do what I got to do, and then uplug and restart mach3, and the sun shines again.....

put a vid link up under my 5 axis cab build to see the minimal basic operating control.

scott
fun times

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
That's a known issue with the FTDI driver and not specific to the SS. If you have two different devices with an FTDI chip and they have different driver versions trying to use them both at the same time will cause problems. Most of the USB-Serial adapters will automatically install and not give you the chance select the driver. I think you can find the adapter in device manager and point it to the driver version the SS uses. It is something you have to watch out for...
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 09:23:01 AM »
Any one run across a USB to Serial converter cable that is NOT FTDI driven?  Perhaps I can avoid the issue all to gether.
Currently I run the Radio shack and the Gold X, both cause the drop and I think both are running FTDI driver software.

scott
fun times

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:47 AM »
I just searched for USB serial adapter and found this one which says it uses a different chip: http://www.usbgear.com/CHEAP-SERIAL.html
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 06:35:31 PM »
I am actually looking for someone who has tested one, and knows it doesnt cause the drop.......

Scott
fun times

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 06:48:05 PM »
I have one that I think I used with the SS for a while, dont use it now as its not needed (different trackball) so I will see if I can find it and test it out to make sure. Problem is I dont have a clue where it is, probably at the workshop so might take me a year or two to find it ;D
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
Scott
 after 2 days of searching I have finally found the USB-serial adapter but its 1:45am and I am at home so will be tomorrow before I can hook it up to the mill or lathe and make sure it works. Not even sure what chip is on it as the drivers are at the workshop and the info on the site I bought it from is non existant.
 Will let you know how it goes.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 09:19:09 PM »
Found the drivers on my other hard drive, it is a Prolific Technology adapter.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 11:28:12 AM »
Been running the lathe with USB to Serial connected and not had a problem with the SS losing connection.
Hood

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 12:10:14 PM »
Hey Hood,

Can you see what "Brand/model" of Prolific?  I am using a Prolific "GoldX 1200" and it crashes it.....  the driver is the FTDI driver though.

scott
fun times