Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:40:45 AM

Author Topic: Vexta 5 Phase Motor & Driver  (Read 10346 times)

Vexta 5 Phase Motor & Driver
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »
We have a waterjet & I am starting to research replacing our old 486SX PC based system running DOS 6.22 & Indexer to one running Mach3 on XP. I just learned about Mach3 last week. I saw a kit from Machmotion ( I thought they were Mach3 developers) that is a CNC Plasma or Oxy fuel Stepper Kit [X15-350-01] but their drivers won't work with our 5 Phase steppers so I thought Mach3 didn't work with 5 Phase Drivers & steppers. I like the control cabinet Machmotion has in this kit.
I have open loop steppers that are Vexta 5 Phase .72 deg./step, DC 2.8A PN/PK596AUHA with an obsolete 5 Phase Driver UDX5128NA. The replacement for our obsolete driver is PN/UDK5128NW2 and is almost $1,100 plus has a long lead time.
We have been using our present setup for 14 years & the steppers never skip a step. Are most steppers this reliable?
In reference to a post from mr.c....I though??? would be better if I would switch to a cheaper 5 Phase driver in the new Mach3 intigration since the Machmotion kit couldn't use our drivers.

Here is a Pic of the Driver setup & others.....http://picasaweb.google.com/Share.Pic.53/VextaDrivesMotors?authkey=Gv1sRgCJTBqseVwrnhpAE#
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:56:42 PM by Steve_B »

Offline mr.c

•  40 40
    • View Profile
Re: Vexta 5 Phase Motor & Driver
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:18:38 AM »
I am not sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to drive the vexta drive from a Gecko drive? All you need is step/direction inputs to the Vexta drive. No need for the Gecko drive. There may also be an enable connection on the Vexta drive. I will try to remember to check that when I go out to the shop.
I have been running my Hardinge conversion on five phase motors for years.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 02:07:49 AM »
Hi, Steve

Your stepper motor's are 5 wire Unipolar Type, Gecko's use Bipolar Type, 4, 6, or 8 wire  Motor's.

Look on your motor driver board/box's and see if it has a diag similar to this picture below, They do make some step/dir boxes, But I couldn't find the part # you listed.

Hears a pic of the stepper diminutions for your motors also.

Chip

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 11:15:32 PM »
Hi, Steve

Looked at your new pic's, Your stepper Driver Box's are step & direction and there opto isolated as well which is good.

As far as the Pendant goes I think I have a solution you could use to simplify the issues you have.

Thanks, Chip