Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:41:47 PM

Author Topic: G540 and VFD SPindle  (Read 8950 times)

G540 and VFD SPindle
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:32:45 PM »
Gday people.

Has anyone hooked up their G540 to a VFD, I have wired it up as per Mariss directions but am a little lost after that what I need to do.

Try:

VS to G540 VFD + supply.
VC to G540 VFD out
GND to G540 VFD ground.

Mariss

Anyway what do I do from this point on in Mach I have done a fair amount of searching cant find much besides my own posts via google  :).
I have gone through the videos but just getting more confused and am hoping someone else has hooked one up or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks Willy

vintageracer

Re: G540 and VFD SPindle
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Hi Willy,

I have a G540 controlling a Bardac 3600xri.
Works very well.
In addition to the three wires from the G540 you will also need one of the output relays to switch the VFD on and off.

Did I answer your question?

Timothy
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 10:27:11 PM »
Hi Timothy thanks for the reply I was getting worried that no one has done this so far.

Are you just talking about turning the VFD on and off straight from the G540 0utput or using an external relay?

I am also lost on the Mach set-up should I be using PWM or Step.
If you have the time can you explain how you have it set up I have lost direction and confused myself to a standpoint  ???.

Thanks for trying to help

Willy

vintageracer

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
It took me a about day to get mine set up and tuned in.

I used an external 12v relay switched by the G540 because the Bardac needed both NC and NO signals.

I just enabled the relays on the spindle set up page under ports and pins (#1 for both CW and CCW) and checked the PWM output.
From there the rest of the day was spent fine tuning the RPM with the tach feedback and the acceleration ramp up times.

I have a 6hp 180vdc motor so I was drawing some serious amps. :)

Which VFD are you using? Could you send me a wiring diagram?

Timothy

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:00:26 AM by vintageracer »
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:13:46 AM »
Hi Timothy,

I have a Manual if that helps page 19 shows the Analogue as well as other inputs its a Sunfar C300 VFD (chinese VFD  ::))
I hope you can make some sense of it I am going to have another play in the morning when I get a chance.

Thanks Sean

vintageracer

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 09:28:45 AM »
OK, got it.

You need to wire the FWD terminal through one of the G540 outputs to turn the spindle on.
I'm assuming you're not going to have a reverse rotation in your machine, although it looks like you could.

Then check your spindle setup in Mach3.

ports and pins/ spindle setup/ relay control : CW output #1 (assuming you have wired the FWD terminal to output #1 on the G540)

ports and pins/spindle setup/ motor control : use spindle output checked, PWM control checked

Hope that gets you started.

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 06:54:53 AM »
Hi Timothy,

Thanks for that gave it a shot but I am still getting nothing will walk away from it for a couple of days and try again I think I am missing something not sure what though maybe some settings on the VFD that I have missed.

Bloody aggravated that's for sure  :'(