Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:42:17 PM

Author Topic: Aluminum for cutting PCB solder paste stencils  (Read 4015 times)

Aluminum for cutting PCB solder paste stencils
« on: June 19, 2009, 07:09:41 AM »
I'm trying to produce solder paste stencils internally to avoid the cost and delays of outsourcing them, and this seems like a natural fit for my CNC mill, but I'm really not sure what kind of aluminum I should be looking for.  I meausred a stencil I have beside me and it is 0.15mm thick, but I'm not sure what type of aluminum it is ... or where in the world I can buy it online.  If anyone has any suggestions on what type of material to use and a potential source, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
Re: Aluminum for cutting PCB solder paste stencils
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:10:43 AM »
Hi Keven,

The stencils I use are made of brass or stainless steel. The thickness is 8 thou.

Cheers,

Peter,
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:25:01 AM »
Would you mind letting me know what bit you are using?  I'm just playing with the CNC now and stuck a 0.2mm carbide bit in there, but they are so fragile I'm not sure it will work.  If you have any bit suggestions, I'd definately appreciate it.

How are you converting from Gerber to GCode?  I am just playing with CopperCAM which I use for PCBs, but it seems it can only cut outlines, it doesn't want to cut 'inside' the pads (I'm using the top paste layer).

Thanks for any help.  There isn't a lot on the web (at least that I've found using Google).

Kevin.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:30:12 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Sorry, I get them made.

I have seen home made stencils that just drill holes rather than routing. Just use a drill bit that is the width of the pad. In rectangular pads drill 2 holes.

Cheers,

Peter.
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com