Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:55:40 AM

Author Topic: Mirrored Milling(backwards text) Mach 3  (Read 13523 times)

Mirrored Milling(backwards text) Mach 3
« on: March 20, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
Hi everyone,
My milling operations have been coming out mirrored(text is backwards). Do I have a setting wrong in Mach 3.
Thanks.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mirrored Milling(backwards text) Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »
One of your axis is probably set up backwards. You can reverse it in the home/limits screen.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »
so I checked  my homing/limits setting and two of my axes are marked as reversed the third is is not checked. x and z are reversed (x is left to right and z is up down) the third is y(which is towards and away).  All the axes move correctly when i am manually moving them. If I hold left on the keyboard the mill moves left, if I hit up the y axis moves up, so on and so forth. Is there any other setting that could be incorrect or should I have the y axis run backward(if I push up it would move away)?
Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
Okay, this is probably a dumb answer, and may not apply to your problem, but early on I was having similar problems.  Parts were mirrored, words were backward, etc.

I had used a manual mill but never had been exposed to cnc.  I was used to zeroing everything from the back, right hand edge of a vise and set up my small cnc mill with the same orientation. Was going through a lot of gymnastics to cut things cut properly.  One day I had a BFO (Blinding-Flash-of the the Obvious.  CNC climb milling is oriented opposite.  When I re-set my axis to run that way, my problems went away.  I may still be wrong, but my parts come out correctly and I don't have to read my engraved words in a mirror in order to make sense of them.

The cad programs I have been working with have the X - Y axis orientation located in the bottom left hand corner.  You mill should be set up in a similar manner.

Stand in front of your mill and use the left hand thumb, index, middle finger  visual to see which way your mill is running.  (thumb pointing  up (for the Z axis), index finger pointing away from you (indicating Y+ movement), middle finger pointing to  your right (indicating X +)

If that doesn't solve your problem, I was either wrong, or you have another problem.  Good luck.

Anyone with a different (and maybe correct) solution should feel free to jump in and correct me.

Bob @ BobsShop

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »
hold left on the keyboard the mill moves left, if I hit up the y axis moves up, so on and so forth. Is there any other setting that could be incorrect or should I have the y axis run backward(if I push up it would move away)?
Thanks.

If you are talking about the mill table then you are reversed. When you press the left arrow the table should go right. When you press the up arrow the table should come toward you. Think in terms of the tool should move with the arrows. For the tool to move right, the table needs to go left.