Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:17:41 PM

Author Topic: Feed hold acts quirky  (Read 2687 times)

Feed hold acts quirky
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »
I can see from a short search that there are quite a few known problems with Feed Hold, with most but not all relating to subroutines.

Now, I don't know what a subroutine is, and so, can't say for certain we don't use them, but, having said that, we have random and varying problems with the feature. I would submit a code sample, but I have yet to reproduce any of the instances we've had, despite several attempts. I can, however, describe what happened, and detail a bit about our setup.

We have a waterjet from EZ Router, a pretty standard PC, I think it's a Dell with XP Home? If more specific details are required, I can get back to you on that.

In the first case, we were cutting out a the shape of Texas, and used Feed Hold as it got to the bottom tip, if I remember correctly, and left it, assuming like an idiot that it would work right (haha), but when I came back, I found that while the part was fine, it cut an addiitonal line from the tip, grazing and passing right on by the tip to the northwest, continuing on for a few inches.

In the second case, we were cutting a horseshoe, and hit Feed Hold about half way through the run, and when we restarted it, the head rammed down into the part and through it, breaking the stone in half (thankfully it was positioned in between the grating!)

In both cases, we paused it either to change the speed or raise the head/re-zero the Z axis, to adjust cut height.