Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:19:49 AM

Author Topic: Rutex SPI  (Read 5896 times)

Rutex SPI
« on: March 17, 2006, 12:59:21 AM »
Art and others, I have been very fasinated with Rutex SPI interface they have on their new breakout boards for their drives, I can quote a few things out of one of their pdf's:
http://www.rutex.com/pdf/R20x0.pdf

"The SPI motion command is simply a
16-bit number of steps per each particular servo loop cycle (or quite often called as velocity word). Rather
then clocking each step individually, the host CNC tells the drive the number of step via SPI. For example,
with a 1ms loop-time, the maximum speed of SPI motion is +/-32767 steps/ms or 32,767,000 steps per
second."

"The SPI can be easily implemented in PC
using standard printer port (LPT) similar way as it is use for step&dir generation."

"The SPI is using 3
communication lines: clock, data-out and data-in. Clock and Data-out are same as Step and Dir signals."

Theres much more in that manual, such as controlling 7 axes with only 9 signal lines.

This is a communication interface that would be very useful for many rutex users, its one of the main things thats stopping me from buying their drives for my brushless servos, mainly because step/dir over the parallel port will be way slow for the high res encoders.

It sounds like Rutex is making a DLL or something like that for this interface, I along with many others are very intersted in seeing a package such as Mach software, even Mach 3 incorporated with SPI.

Thanks,
Jon

ynneb

Re: Rutex SPI
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:06:21 AM »
Hmm, I wonder if Mach would be able to drive it?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
Hi Art, I know theres a lot going on with Gecko and all, and that this is a competitor product. Does that mean your not going to support it?

Jon
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:33:14 PM »
SPI will not let you move the data that is needed for Mach3 (I think)... So I think there are a few other problems that make it not work...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:12:17 PM »
I know it will not currently work, From what I am told, it wouldnt take much programming to get it to work.
I think that adding support for SPI would be a great thing for Mach software.

Jon
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 02:27:07 PM »
Adding the ability of SPI communications to mach2 might or might not be that hard, But it would ad a certain amount of flexability in the software. There are already options for +_10v to step/dir and i believe to PWM but to spi. nothing.

It shouldn't actually be that hard to program an app to take the step and direction impulses from mach to SPI. But this would be less disirable just because you are still limited to the frequence capability of the computer.

Has Art responded to any inquirys about adding SPI?