Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:49:43 AM

Author Topic: Feed rate strangeness.  (Read 2646 times)

Feed rate strangeness.
« on: June 08, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »
Hi folks.

I've just been testing out my limit switches on a small 3 Axis mill, and I have encountered a bit of a strange one.  I have slowed down the feed rate using the little + and - signs in the feedrate box on the main screen.  This works great, and has the mill moving at a snails pace, so I don't damage anything if the limit swtich fails in some way.

However, I have noticed that if I hit a limit switch (thus triggering an Estop) and the reset that condition by clicking the reset button on the PC (i'm manually winding the axis off the limit switch), the feedrate goes back up to 100%.  The strange thing is that the display in the feedrate panel still shows the much reduced rate.

If I change the feedrate slightly (say reduce it by a couple of percent), it then starts behaving as expected, with the axes moving very slowly.

Has anyone encoutered this before?  Anyne got any ideas why it may be happening?

I'm using the R3.042.020 lockdown release.  I am driving my mill through a SmoothStepper USB device (which I suspect may be the problem here).

Cheers
Andy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Feed rate strangeness.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:55:44 PM »
Try the 027 version, there was a problem with FRO and the SS in Mach that was fixed up. However the FRO doesnt work that great in the plugin that is released at the moment. I have a test plugin that had the FRO issues sorted but as yet Greg has not released it, I think he is working on a lot of issues and is going to release one plugin that sorts them all and takes the SS out of Beta.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
Ah I see, I'll give the 027 version a shot tomorrow.  Thanks for the info re. the SmoothStepper versioning too.  I've just had a peek at their website, and I'm still on the "me" revision of the plugin, so I've downloaded the "ogb" version, and I'll try that tomorrow :)

Cheers
Andy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »
Not sure if the ogb has the feedrate put back to Mach control or not but certainly worth a try. You probably wont notice too many problems if you are using the + and - for FRO as its a bit slower, the slider is fast and can cause real issues.
Hood