Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:33:44 AM

Author Topic: No motor motion, running out of troubleshooting  (Read 8693 times)

No motor motion, running out of troubleshooting
« on: May 29, 2009, 07:01:03 PM »
I'm a noob, so I hope the solution will prove to be simple ... ;D

I have done all the trouble shooting I can think of and still have no motion.  The motors power up, I can't turn them by hand, but nothing happens when I try to move the motors in the tuning mode or with the on screen jogging.

My set up:

XP SP3 Laptop with a MosChip based card
Mach 3 2.0.047
CNC4PC BOB
Gecko 251
36V powersupply
Keling 285oz/in bipolar motors

Mach 3 Settings

Going to the Hardware Manager, The LPT(3) resources gives me two sets of values:
FEE8-FEEF
FEE0-FEE7

I have used both FEE8 and FEE0 in the Mach settings, but no love.  Otherwise the port settings screen has only Port 1 enable checked, nothing else is checked, and I have left the speed at the default 25K.

Motor Out

X, Y, Z are enabled using pins 2/3, 4/5, and 6/7 Port 1.  Active low settings are turned off.

Tuning

On my X and Y axis, they are set to drive a 0.752" diameter pulley reduced 3:1. The 251 cards are 10X micro stepping cards.  The math is a little complicated, but I end up with 2539.7 steps per inch.  So far I have used that value as well as just using the default 2000 steps per inch.

On my Z axis I have 1/4-20 thread screw.  2000 microsteps per revolution x 20 revolutions per inch gives me 40,000 steps per inch.

I get NO MOTION AT ALL.  I don't know what else to check.  The diagnostic page looks normal, EXCEPT that I have a RED at Enable 1.  I don't know what "Enable 1" is, and I notice that in the set up videos Art's screen shows no red for any of the outputs.

I don't know what else to test. 

Any help is appreciated.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: No motor motion, running out of troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 07:26:37 PM »
Is your "RESET" flashing, if so go to config>ports&pins>input signals and enable the EStop ( click in box and you will get a green check ) assign it to port, maybe 1,  along with a pin you are not using and click Emulated.
If that dosen't do the trick please post our XML file.
Your Xml file can be found in the C:\MACH3 directory, ie; Mach3Mill and copy it and rename it  something like
rirhett and post it.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »
I wish it had been as simple as that.  Unfortunately, I see no flashing and the system seems to think every thing is a go.

Here is my .xml file.  I hope it tells you something.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 02:47:47 AM »
What kind of parallel port do you have?
Check directly at the port with a voltmeter between the Dir pin nd Gnd of the port and jog one way then the other and see if it changes 5V to 0v and vice versa .
 Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 02:52:15 PM »
I have a PCMCIA to Parallel adapter card that gives me the port.  I too suspect this part.  Originally it seemed to use the normal resources, but I had to re-install the driver because it would hang the system when I re-booted.  Now it lists the resources used in two ranges, even though they are contiguous.  FEE0 - FEE7 and FEE8 to FEEF.  That is suspicious to me.

I would love to override the ranges to see if that fixes the problem, but I don't know how.

As for testing pin 3 (a dir pin for the X axis), I don't get 5v ever.  From the cable I get slight fluctuation around 1.8V, through the C-10 BOB I get a more constant 1.8V.  That doesn't seem to match what you were expecting either.

Finally, I detect no change in the voltage when I try to jog the X axis (or any other for that matter).

Sugestions?
Thanks!

vmax549

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »
SO which address are you using in config??? Have you tried both one at a time> Try unistalling the driver and reloading again then check the address. If it gives 2 then try each one. If you get it working LOCK the address so windows can not flipflop it on you on startup.

Do you have a printer you could hook up?

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »
I have tried both addresses with no luck.  I could have sworn that the first time I installed the driver it assigned 0378-037F, but now I have this different resource.  It shouldn't matter, unless there is some acceptable range for Mach and it doesn't know how to do this range.

Also, how would I "lock" the settings?  Is there any way to manually assign the resource?

Unfortunately, I don't have a printer old enough to still have a parallel port.  My printers are USB or wireless.  Using parallel ports for this is getting harder and harder!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »
Well I am going to guess the problem is with the parallel port.  I have no real voltage at the adapter end of the PP (the female plug).  I do measure some voltage, but only about .05v, not 5v.  And before anyone asks, I compared it to my 5v adapter so its not that I am reading the muti-meter wrong.  Am I correct that I should be reading 5V at at least some if not all of these pins?

Having gotten this far on my build, I did not expect to be stopped by a lack of a functioning parallel port.  Has anyone had any experience troubleshooting these PCMCIA cards?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 01:21:37 PM »
I think I read that USB to parallel port doesn't work. That is why someone built the smooth stepper.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
I've heard that too, but PCMCIA is not USB.  There have been several people who have posted they have had success with these cards.