Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 05:55:19 PM

Author Topic: Won't do offsets  (Read 10844 times)

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
Re: Won't do offsets
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 11:41:09 AM »
Hi Vince,
   I tried your DXF and discovered that if the selected tool is too large to cut an arc at the corners, (tool rad. = > part rad.) then there is a problem. By selecting a smaller tool, it works fine here.
Are you trying to use a .25 cutter ?
Might help,
RC 8)

EDIT:  I see in your first post now......1/4 and 3/8 tried. I think tool rad. smaller than the drawn rad. is the answer.

It works for a 3/8" tool which is larger than the radius.  It may be that it does not work if the tool radius=drawn radius. 

Vince
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »
Quite possible......sometimes.....for some folks.
I didn't try larger tools as they would not cut the desired profile.
Can you verify for me that it works OK with a smaller cutter ?
Thanks Vince,
RC

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »
Quite possible......sometimes.....for some folks.
I didn't try larger tools as they would not cut the desired profile.
Can you verify for me that it works OK with a smaller cutter ?
Thanks Vince,
RC

It works for anything smaller than 1/4" and larger than 1/4".  There must be a problem with the code when the cutter radius=drawn radius.

Vince
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »
Vince, now that you mention it, I remember encountering a similar problem.  In my case, I cheated and told LCAM the tool was .001 (or something near that) smaller than the actual tool.  As I recall that solved the problem. Another writer said LCAM has some issues; And it does.  But since I am not building orbital rockets and LCAM has enabled me to cheaply make one-off parts for the Harley, I give it some slack.

Bob@BobsShop - Making parts and grinning.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 05:55:06 PM »
YES BOB !
   I vaguely remember reading about that also.
Been a while.....forgot to write all of these tricks down.
Thanks for the memories,
RC

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »
Thanks Bob, I just tried it with a .249" tool instead of .250" and it works.

Vince
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 08:11:40 PM »
Promise this is my last post on this subject.  :-\

Just because I am getting older (a lot) and even more forgetful, I decided to try one more "fix," to avoid this type of problem in the future.  I went in to my tooltable and added .0001 in the Diameter Wear column for every tool.  Tried the DXF file again with a .25 endmill and LCAM produced the code properly.

The .0001 wear lie should not cause many problems for the type projects I am contemplating.  If the adjustment is a problem then Mach3 and my Taig mill are a lot more sensitive than I ever imagined.

Bob@BobsShop - has left the building.
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 08:27:02 PM »
Nifty trick Bob...

Thanks,
RC
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 08:07:32 PM »
This discussion is exactly what I was looking for in the Yahoo Groups (and didn't find). I thought I would have to buy a separate Cam program to do offsets but apparently not. I'm putting together a Taig system to cut sections out of brass plate to create clock wheels. I need to cut inside the line for the spokes and outside the line for the perimeter of the wheel. Can I do both at the same time with the same drawing or do I need a drawing with two layers? Do I need the Pro version of LazyCam? The last thing I want to do is create drawings for the toolpaths.

I've been playing with the demo version of Mach3 for a few months as my steppers and other parts come in and apparently LazyCam is also a demo and won't show offsets with my drawing.

Another related question. I have to mill a spoon-shaped so-called click spring. The handle is 3/32 high but the spoon end is 1/16th. I could do two drawings but would rather do one. Does this call for two layers to the drawing and could LAzyCam help here too?
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »
Two possible solutions - Invest in LCAM Pro or look into D2nc link is http://www.d2nc.com/  An inexpensive program that should do just what you want.  I use both programs depending on what I am doing at any given moment.  Graham Hollis of D2 has give me excellent support in the past.

Like most (if not all) inexpensive programs LCAM and D2 each have their own set of quirks, but I have been able to work through them and (IMHO) get excellent results.

Bob@BobsShop - not affiliated with anyone -