Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 01:11:21 PM

Author Topic: Sign done in relief (background routed out leaving the letters).  (Read 4652 times)

Hi,
I'm trying to route out a sign in relief. My question: is it possible to set different depths of cut for different parts of the sign. If so how.
Thanks,
Lindsay

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
Re: Sign done in relief (background routed out leaving the letters).
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:11:58 PM »
The easiest way(if complex) is to use a CAD/CAM program.   Other wise, you can write the G-code all at one depth, open it in a text editor and alter the sections of G-code that you want Mach3 to control the depth differently.   
In the picture included here, I roughed out at two depths to gently reach the full depth.   I could have left some areas shallower but this was not the case here.  Howver, the perimeter cut around the outside is only a small percentage of the depth within and around the letters.
  If you are looking for letters that have altering dimension vertically, you may use a standard degreed(angled) bit , but you still have to edit the G-code to achieve your desired result.
  Cad is the way to go....whether you use ball-end cutters, straight cutters, or "v" shaped cutters.
Look around...there are all kinds of Cad/Cam(drawing-g-code) programs within this forum that would work for you.

Right within Mach3 is the lazycam program.
  To actually "say" how to do it would require a lengthy group of words here, but there is great documentation for your reading enjoyment. :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:31:00 PM by Bloy »
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »
Thanks, I have a CAD program already, Turbo CAD which unfortunately I don't know how to use. It's a learning curve. I do all my work in CoreDraw which I'm expert in, I used it for years while in the sign business. I can generate the DXF files I need in Corel just fine. What about generating multiple files, one file for each depth of cut, would that work? The only problem I see with that is registration, each file must exactly be aligned with the others or else there would be problems.
Thanks,
Lindsay

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »
The only problem I see with that is registration, each file must exactly be aligned with the others or else there would be problems.
Thanks,
Lindsay

I wouldn't worry about that........your program should be able to make multiple files all with the same(exact) referrence point, but with different directions(depths) to carry out. Or, you can set it in each rendering to align. Just have each drawing contain common information from which to register.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:42:05 PM by Bloy »

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:04:05 PM »
To do this draw your different areas on seperate layers, you cam program should import these layers.
You then select the required layer and do the machining operation on that layer.

Or if I was wanting to have teh text lower than the border and then a relief around the text i'd do the following using sheetcam

In sheetcam I can copy the selected path to another layer so I would draw the text and the inside and outside of the border in corel all on one layer, then in sheetcam I would keep the text and inner border on one layer (text) and the outside on another new layer (outside cut)
Then copy the inner border to another new layer (inner border)
Machine inner border layer to required depth
Machine text layer to final depth
Cut out using outside cut layer

You can do the layers in corel before export if you want but the end result will be the same.

What CAM program are you using?

Steve
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:48:02 PM »
I use CorelDraw to create the drawings. Sheetcam and of course Mach. Thanks for your suggestions, they were very good. I'll play around with that. I'm just learning Mach and Sheetcam so the help is much appreciated. I've used Corel for years in the sign business so I'm quite good with it.
Thanks for the help,
Lindsay

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 05:20:17 AM »
Glad I could help, it's a bit hard to take it all in at first but you'll sort it.

Steve
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 05:56:54 AM »
And thanks for your help as well Bloy, good suggestions too. I'll play around with it today and post a pix if I can make it work. As I say, I'm new to Mach and SheetCAM so it's a learning curve. I've got a friend coming down and he wants me to route some signs for the Girls Scout camp that his wive works at so it's for a good cause.
Take care,
Lindsay