Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:36:01 AM

Author Topic: Just got my Jog Dial!  (Read 10592 times)

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
Just got my Jog Dial!
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:51:38 AM »
This thing makes jogging a breeze!

now my next question is this....

can i use two of these together... so i can roll 2 axis' at the same time?

would i have to unload its driver and manually setup each one with keygrabber? Is the developer of this driver on this forum?

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my Jog Dial!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:39:58 AM »
Send an Email to "Bob Yellin" he makes the jog dial, and he is VERY responsive to questions, very good customer service.

scott
fun times

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 03:18:06 AM »
ehhh ok .. so i love my jog dial but decided trying to work with two of them is just not practical...

so there i was looking round on my desk and my eye rested on my SpacePilot...

BOOOOOOOOING!!!!!

man.. i have to, have to, have to get that thing hooked up to my mill.. its perfect! it will even access up to 8 axis's for guys who need it..

anyone ever tried hooking this up to mach???

this is the one i have.. 

http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacepilot.php

if it could operate the robotic arm on the space shuttle im pretty sure its just the ticket for mach???

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 03:20:27 AM by Chris.Botha »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:59:53 AM »
Chris,
I use two different deivces, namely two MPG's and also the XBOX360. Each satisfies a particular need
for what i am doing. The XBOX360, which has a plugin for MACH, is realy nice to use, as you can move two axis at any rate and creep up on a spot and also just hit another button to go from slow to fast jogging along with other
functions.  Must also mention you can use it along with video. Maybe you can borrow one and try it out.
Point is, that all works and setup would be painless.

The two MPG's ( two encoders ), can be setup for two defined axes are also handy as they can be used together to move both axes or seperately. I use them for very precise positioning of the tool to stock on the lathe. Cost was about $10 to do.

Most all the devies use an encoder of sort ( even a cheap mouse has one in it ). I look for high count encoders on anything and will buy "junk" and use the encoders. Spend a buck and save 50 to a hundred, little work and presto, two functional MPG's for pennies on the dollar.

You may be able to get the space pilot to work, but painless hookup seems to overide other choices and guide myselfon what i  have chosen to do.

Just wanted to mention other options.

RICH

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »
ok cool will look into it :)
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 06:28:37 AM »
ehhh ok .. so i love my jog dial but decided trying to work with two of them is just not practical...

http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacepilot.php

if it could operate the robotic arm on the space shuttle im pretty sure its just the ticket for mach???

Chris,

I've already asked this in the "requests" forum. It has to be added by Brian as part of Mach3 or as a plugiin. 3Dx only supply the SDK.

The Spacepilot probably wouldn't last too long in a workshop environment but the SpaceNavigator would be ideal and they are so cheap, 30-odd dollars in the US if I remember correctly. A six axis controller you can move all six axes at the same time in a fluid and intuitive way for less than $50, somebody should do it (pretty please). You could always add your request to mine ;D

Other than the above, the XBox controller works amazingly well and with the latest plugin, damn near perfect.

Jeff.

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
You can now use your 3D mouse in Mach 3!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
Bump!

Just to let you know (if you already didn't) that 3Dx have bowed to custmer pressure and released a fully supported driver that allows you to use their controllers in ANY application. It can mimic a joystick, keyboard or just work as before, a 3D mouse. Not tried it in Mach yet but it looks very easy indeed to customise.

Regards, Jeff.