Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:46:25 AM

Author Topic: Not Recommended: factorymation.com - Teco SG2-20VR-D PLC  (Read 13155 times)

Not Recommended: factorymation.com - Teco SG2-20VR-D PLC
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »
For anyone considering a low budget PLC, I would recommend that you stay away from the Teco SG2 series of PLCs from factorymation.com.  Specifically the modbus doesn't work properly and no one seems to know how to fix it.  I've tried four different 485 adapters, numerous wiring combos and all without any luck.  Also, these units can not be configured to work with anything other than 38,400-n-8-2 - so if you are at 9600 or some other rate you won't be able to make this PLC work with your other devices.  The modbus documentation (translated Chinese) is of poor quality and support is also non-existent.
Re: Not Recommended: factorymation.com - Teco SG2-20VR-D PLC
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:55:28 PM »
Thanks for the heads up !
Have you any experience with the CLICK PLC from Automation Direct using Modbus ?

Thanks dmoore,
RC
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »
No but I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion on them.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:30:59 AM »
Has anyone else tried to do this?  Any luck?  I can't get a valid response from the SG2 even using tools like ModScan32 and ModTester.  I've tried termination resistors, swapping polarity, and jumping the Rx and Tx together on the 4wire adapter (Hexin 2108G).  The only thing that changed with each of these was no response from the SG2 instead of an invalid one.

I really like the SG2 for simple projects, but if I can't get it to talk to a PC it really limits it's usefulness.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 01:33:32 PM »
Has anyone else tried to do this?  Any luck?  I can't get a valid response from the SG2 even using tools like ModScan32 and ModTester.  I've tried termination resistors, swapping polarity, and jumping the Rx and Tx together on the 4wire adapter (Hexin 2108G).  The only thing that changed with each of these was no response from the SG2 instead of an invalid one.

I really like the SG2 for simple projects, but if I can't get it to talk to a PC it really limits it's usefulness.

Sounds like you are in the same boat I was.  I even purchased two of the units in an effort to get it working.  Don't get me wrong - I REALLY like most of factorymation's products - I use their VFD's with Modbus and they work GREAT! But the Teco SG2 is junk when it comes to Modbus.

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:54:46 AM »
I use the Delta PLC, the price is really good- under $100 US, Protocol 57600,8,1,N . Set the PLC to RTU mode. PLC Default is usually ascii.

Read this thread: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=10248.0

dmoore seems to have got the SG2 working!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »
OK, I finally gave up on the Teco unit.  Santa brought me one of the Click units that was mentioned earlier in this thread.  I was getting modbus responses from the Click within 30 minutes of powering up.  If I would've known how many engineering hours I would end up wasting on the Teco, I would have had the great pumpkin bring me the Click PLC back in October instead of waiting until Xmas. 
Sorry Teco, looks like for all my future automation projects you loose.  The bonus is a superior instruction set and analog outputs too.  The only con is the lack of a LCD display; since my desire for modbus comms on the SG2 stemmed from wanting a PC as an operator interface, this is a moot point for me anyways.