Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 07:06:57 AM

Author Topic: Lazy Cam manual or tutorials  (Read 17412 times)

Lazy Cam manual or tutorials
« on: May 05, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »
I am completely new to cnc but almost reached a milestone today designing a part in cad, opening it in my demo version of lazycam, generating code and almost...cutting the part. The code wants to cut the whole part in one pass even though I have the cuts per pass depth set and what I believe to be the part depth set. Just guessing but it only shows one layer...should it be one layer per pass?
Just playing now but from what I'm seeing...Lazy cam is for me. I have a limited budget and a lot in common with the name since I do not want to go back to school to learn a cam program. The problem is...Is there any more tutorials other than the two video tutorials in the support section? I would happily purchase a license if I know I can learn the program but will definitely need more help than the two video tutorials. I'm already teaching myself auto-cad and making progress. I don't want to overload my already overloaded brain but want to get up and making stuff asap.

--Rick

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Cam manual or tutorials
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
Rick,
Other than what has been posted in the Lazycam thread and some info on LazycamTurn in the Members Docs you will find nothing. Suggest you post in that thread and also read a lot of the posts since a lot of your questions will be answered. That's just the way it is.
RICH
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply Rich.
I do mostly woodworking but right now am machining aluminum parts for an extra router holder for my z and also a router lift for a table. I'm also looking at retrofitting a 40w CO2 laser. Quick change from spindle, router, laser. (spindle and router...easy, laser... probably dreaming)

My needs are fairly simple...Design simple parts, signs, engravings for wood, etc.. turn to code and cut.

Can Lazy Cam be my cam solution or should I go with a full cam program such as Dolphin Cam.

Is lazy cam a full cam program? In the first video, it was made to sound as if it was not.

I hate to purchase the license...although it is pretty inexpensive, only to find I will need a different program.

As I mentioned before, although I've been watching mach videos, asking questions, reading the forums, and owned my cnc for a couple of years, I just finally got it going.  So I am still quite green. I've been making quantum leaps with the hands on in the past few weeks though.

--Rick

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
Hi, Rick

LazyCam is still in a beta version status, Some love it, Some don't, I personally find it a Great value at $ 75.00 1/2 price of it's intended release price of $ 150.00. It should get a little more work done on it in the future with Lathe (Turning features) and I hope small bug fixes along the way.

However, I just found this "note" in the Purchase section above   "Due to the availability of other low cost CAM packages, LazyCam is in semi-permanent Beta and no longer being actively developed. LazyCam is not intended for use in a production environment" New's to Me.

Anyway give it a try, Folk's will help you where we can, It's all a learning Curve as you know, Post your problem DXF's ether way.

Chip

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »
Rick,
Dolphin is a nice program and has a price to match even at the hobby level ( $400 per module? ). There are a lot of programs, not many for the lathe i might add, that are out there. You need to try some of them and see what strikes
your fancy / what you find easy to use. Problem is it takes time to try them. Learning different software gets old after a while.
As far as CAD goes, you won't go wrong learning AutoCad.
You need to create a DXF file for import into many programs. Some offer a drawing program  but frankly if you learn AutoCad you won't want to use a lot of the other drawing programs.

Lazycam expects to recieve a DXF and based on your imported drawing will generate the code.

Take your time and try different programs.

RICH
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
Thanks for all your input. I'm really amazed at the willingness of this forums members to help and the expertise they bring with them. Thank you!
I'm going to put the squeeze my wallet a bit and go with v-carve. I'm anxious to get this machine going and do not want to fumble through a program.
I do not know enough of "cnc'n" in general not to have a manual or tutorials. A lot of terms are still Greek to me. The v-carve software seems to be
state of the art and very easy to use. It should fit my needs well. Thanks.
--Rick ;D
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 11:05:08 AM »
Rick,
Sounds like you need to take a look at your tool parameters.  I don't have the program in front of me but from memory and similar experience that sounds like the problem. 

I've set my tool table to include bits for cutting and tabbing.  For example the 0.125" depth per pass for cutting and 1.0" for tabbing.  I've been known to select the wrong tool and end up aborting when the tool plunges for the first pass.  The reason I have tabbing tools specified is because I couldn't get around LC respecting the 0.125" max depth per pass when generating a tab path.

LC in general has been a little disappointing for me, I purchased the license expecting a little more refining of the program.  That said, I'm just an occasional user and the only other generator I've used was ACE, if you've used that you'll know the advantages.  I think the license for LC is probably fairly priced I just feel the pitch led me to believe LC would continue to evolve.

Curtis

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »
Curtis,
This verbage is in large bold print befoer you purchase.

"Due to the availability of other low cost CAM packages, LazyCam is in semi-permanent Beta and no longer being actively developed. LazyCam is not intended for use in a production environment."

I understand your disappointment in light of recent software in the last year or so. If LazyTurn
comes to pass, even at this years anticipated level of release, your money will have been well spent should you get a
cnc lathe going. But that's just my opinion, as i speak for no one.

RICH

vmax549

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 02:42:04 PM »
HIYA RICH, THat bold print has not always been there (;-)

There" is" a German LCAM manual floating around in PDF format. IF some clever person was to get it translated it could be a big help(;-) HINT

My German is a whole lot rusty but it seems to be a decent manual that covers the basics well.

Just a thought, (;-)