Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 08:03:19 AM

Author Topic: ESS Runs out of data when cold!  (Read 5281 times)

ESS Runs out of data when cold!
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
Trying to tie down what seems like static build up or grounding issues on my machine. In summer my machine was fine - would be happy sitting through 3 hour jobs without issue. Now its cold (and condensation increased?) I get ESS out of data every few minutes!  I've done the usual, reducing the frequency and have a repeating ping log running to ensure that the ethernet comms don't glitch (they don't)
Tearing my hair out as to what the cold does to change matters! Any good ideas?

What can cause the ESS to give up in this way? (besides lack of data from the PC)

Thanks,
James
Re: ESS Runs out of data when cold!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:44:41 PM »
I forgot to add, this occurs with and without the spindle running
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:03:32 AM »
I had issues with my setup in cold temps. It turned out to be the hard drive. i've switched to a solid state drive and all is well.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »
The run out of data error had something to do with the odd case where Mache planned a really, really short move and the plug-in got confused and was waiting for more data before sending data to the buffer. If you look on the Warp9 forum you will find a new plug-in that fixes this problem.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »
I imagine Jeff is spot on and your problem will be fixed with the newer plugin but I thought this would be a good place to mention a couple of things. Temperature and humidity can affect EMF or noise but the most common problem I have seen in equipment with temperature swings is in electrical connections. Often it is in solder joints but not exclusively. A cracked solder joint can be a real pain to find but a hair dryer and/or refrigerator can help a awful lot sometimes. Be sure and use some common sense if you try this method. The expansion and contraction the large temperature swing induces can verify a suspected trouble spot. The first thing you have to do is be able to recreate the problem anytime your trouble shooting. There is a big difference in trouble shooting and parts changing BTW. If you can count on the machine giving you grief on a cold day give it a try. First, narrow down all components that could produce the symptoms you see. Then, on a cold day fire up the machine and test to be sure it is acting up. If it is, take your hair dryer and try heating only certain components you have determined may be the trouble spot and test often. Once you find what you think it is take that component and put it in the fridge for a little while and once it is cold again reinstall and test. Make sure that you heat up anything else that you did earlier (before removing the component) before you reinstall the component. If everything is at the same temperature that had no problems except the one component you put in the fridge and now have the same problem (that the heating up removed) you have likely found the source. Try heating it with the hairdryer again as a test. If the problem is solved again with the heat you can feel pretty confident your on the right track. A jewelers loop may help you pinpoint it.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »
That is a good point Brett. Cold cables don't like to bend which could amplify the problem with a poor connection. If you have any optical sensors you might find they don't work well below 40F. The LEDs/IR diodes can undergo significant changes in performance when cold that can make a sensor act flakey (then it warms up and works fine!)

The tight tolerances of a CNC machine also will not like running when cold.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
Icing on the cake Jeff, very good points. Of all the crazy laws we have one requiring that a CNC be kept in a climate controlled environment would kind of make sense in my mind. But if I had my rathers we would have no written laws so I'll hush now.  ;D

Once had an operator complaining every time he goes to break and comes back his machine had jumped .002 and he had to dial it back in. Well, one his breaks were meant to be 15 minutes instead of 45 and two the big roll up door beside his machine was supposed to stay closed. Something about the 60 MPH arctic wind hitting his ways and control cabinet did things to his machine he just could not understand.  ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!