Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:44:29 AM

Author Topic: My first attempts at laser engraving.  (Read 91528 times)

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
Re: My first attempts at laser engraving.
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2009, 03:57:52 AM »
or we could attach a boiler to the bottom of the copper tubing.. fil it with fruits and barley.. fermentation agents...

hmmmmm
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2009, 07:09:43 AM »
Hi Tweakie
FYI

One way that higher powered lasers are modulated (turned on and off) is with a device called acousto-optic modulator. What they do is bend the beam just enough that they dont get thru an aperature after the crystal.

Last one I bought for work cost close to $1k but maybe you can find something on ebay. Galvos are also used but are not (I believe) as fast as AOM's

Cheers

Mark

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2009, 09:27:34 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your input on this thread.

I have a 'Q Switch' on my YAG laser which does as you say bend the beam but It is too large for this project also it is designed specifically for 1064 nm and not a 655 nm red laser. I will check ebay more often to see if anything comes up.

After much experimentation I have now decided to use a shutter system for beam on/off which is driven by a small 4 position stepper motor (couldn't find a galvo without having to buy a disco light and stripping it for the parts) linked to the Z axis direction signal. It is quite fast in operation, performs like a galvo and seems OK. I am using PRF modulation of a 20nS pulse for control of the diode power output but am still experimenting with different pulse widths and modulation circuits.

To me, probably the most surprising thing about this project is that low power lasers do have useful applications with CNC machines.

Best regards,

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Kent

•  34 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »
WOW WOW WOW  how cool, well maybe  that's the wrong word  ::).
Thanks for sharing, guess I need to make another CNC...  don't think MDF and lasers mix :)

Great job on the website, wish the pictures expanded though with such cool project I would like to see the details in each.

Thanks for keeping me motivated   Kent

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2009, 04:16:16 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Kent.

One thing about using lasers is that there is no loading on the tool head therefore even converted pen plotters would be good to use. You need to have no worries about MDF with low power lasers - the worst that could happen is a few scorch marks perhaps.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »
ok.. ordered  1 x 200mw laser and 5 small focusable line lasers to better "aid" in my experiments...

wife gave go ahead..
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2009, 04:53:00 AM »
You guys all using red hene wavelength lasers? I wonder how a green ones go.. got a couple lying around.

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2009, 05:06:55 AM »
200mw laser cannot be delivered by the company i ordered it from because these lasers may not be supplied anymore due to some FDA laws just passed... they can supply the line lasers tho.

managed to find a 150mw one somewhere else. will do as well? ordered anyway?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »
Yea -  Australia prohibits imports of anything greater than 50 mW.

Never tried green lasers either - please post your results.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »
Guys, different types of laser produce different wavelengths, and you need to select the right wavelength for the material in question, eg a wavelength that is absorbed.

Invisible IR from a CO2 laser is ideal for cutting / marking acrylic, marking glass, cutting / marking wood, leather, etc etc...

Here in the UK you can buy *********e chinese aircooled CO2 lasers for around 250 quid for 25 watts, just add a neon sign transformer and some fans and you're good to go, for a couple of thousand hours.

Pukka sealed for life and lasts for 5k 10k CO2 hours laser cost more, as do water cooled.

Coherent and Synrad both make visible spectrum diode lasers in the multi watt range, (as well as CO2) not so good at cutting transparent materials or metals... quite expensive because you end up needing a quality PSU that can deliver 100 amperes at 2.0 volts, exactly for even a moderately powered beam...

CO2 is a lot more versatile, you can cut metal with it, just a question of power.

As a rule of thumb, you get about 2 watts of power per inch of tube, think on this if planning on mounting the tube in the Z axis, if not, if planning on using flying optics, good luck to you on the precision front.... think about it.

A 25 watt CO2 laser will slowly cut clean through 10 mm acrylic, a 100 watt will cut eighth inch steel plate.

CO2 laser basically operate at RF, so you can switch them on and off very, very, very fast, which can be useful.

==========================

Now, everyone talks about eye safety, and this is true, even a 1 watt laser focused by the eye lens on the retina will permanently blind you before your brain even begins the blink reaction, and thats a visible laser, IR is even worse, except IR flashback can be very easy prevented by using an IR opaque medium, like acrylic or pilkington glass, this is how greenhouses work after all

HOWEVER

Permanent blindness is not the issue.

I emailed tweakie about this, a laser essentially creates a high energy plasma cloud of chemical elements from the substance being lasered, and all sorts of rubbers and plastics and other materials start giving off clouds of extremely toxic and / or carcinogenic compounds like benzine, phosgene, arsenic, chlorine etc etc etc...

Laser cut steel creates clouds of micron sized rust

Laser cut stainless steel creates clouds of very nasty heavy metals like chromium etc that once absorbed the body can never rid itself of...

As I said to tweakie it would probably be healthier to hand my small son a lit cigar than to let him be in the same room as a cutting or engraving laser, even if he was wearing a welding mask...

CO2 lasers are a lot like gas axes, they have a jet of gas (often just dry clean air) shooting out the same nozzle as the beam, and the gas jet is what really does the cutting, the laser just melts.

Essentially the difference between a 25 watt CO2 laser and a 100 watt CO2 laser is that any job the 25 watt one can do, the 100 watt can do at 4 times the feed. However, but there is a lower limit for each material and job, and that limit is the ability to punch through fast enough to have minimal deflection and to move fast enough to have minimal heat going anywhere except the desired spot.

====================

DO NOT BUY 150 mW laser diodes for big bucks, every single old CD burner has one in it with a lens, for free... DVD burners nearer 200 mW.

a suitable hole bored longwise in a CPU heatsink and fan is good for cooling, and long life on diodes is good cooling, good power (within limits), soft start and stop

Forget visible light diode lasers unless you want to run a light show, invisible IR is where it is at for delivered energy, but requires slightly special optics, not just ordinary glass lenses.

====================

If you're serious about it a 25 watt CO2 tube, neon sign transformer and tube cooling is dead simple, and actually works out a lot cheaper per watt than a 150/250 mW diode bought new, plus PSU, etc, and optics are affordable, and a clean air supply for the jet, just watch out for the 22kvolts and the instant blindness or instant 3rd degree burns, but you be able to cut most organics and plastics up to 10mm thick slowly, and engrave most plastics, glass, and organics and even metal (after pre treating) quite fast indeed.

HTH etc

cheers