Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:10:04 AM

Author Topic: Steppers run rough in program run/ smooth in tuning?  (Read 8312 times)

Re: Steppers run rough in program run/ smooth in tuning?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 09:01:56 AM »
And now for the rest of the story...
Last night I tried the suggestions, Hibernate, Bios settings, Sherline mode. all with the same results, Motors ran smooth in the drive tuning but as soon as I saved the settings and went back to any main screen, the motors ran rough and periodically stalled. the motors would smooth out if I moved the mouse.

O.K. time to try something different I thought. Disconnected the lathe computer, Hooked it up to the Router. Put all the same step resolutions, Accels, Velocities in. Voilla! Smooth as silk! I was able to actually increase the rapid a bit from what I could run with Wincnc.

Lathe computer, 1.8ghz P4 IBM Netvista able to run @ 199khz. XP service pack2

Computer I WAS going to use for the router, Dual core 3ghz IBM Netvista, XP service pack2

I have to conclude that either Windows, or Mach do not utilise the dual core processor properly, at least in my case.

Hope that helps someone else,
Cutmore

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »
Sometimes it is just the parallel port or South-Bridge chip-set that prevents the driver from driving the parallel port properly. The link I gave a few posts above this one had that very problem.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 10:21:02 AM »
Thanks jeff,
I thnk i have a parallel port card somewhere, Maybe I will try that.

BTW,
I did click the link you had posted but I didn't find a thread just your link to the Smoothstepper. Did I not get the right link?

Thanks,
Cutmore

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »
Sorry, I thought I had included it on this thread? Anyhow here is the link: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11108.0.html , basically with the motherboard that Rusty had not even another PCI card would work although the driver test looked great. Something in the chip-set that handles the PCI bus (perhipials) did not like being driven that fast. He had tried several things to try and make it work though so I thought some of them might apply in your case as well. If you have a PCI parallel port card I would try that first to see if it helps.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
Thanks again Jeff,
i just read that whole thread. I think My system has that same processor. I will have to look at the Mobo though to see if that's the same as well. if so maybe that combo is the problem.

I will try a pci parallel card as well, just to see.

Cutmore
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 11:37:19 AM »
I'm a noob, but, had the same rough running on my Dynacnc mach. at first. I set lookahead to 200 lines, CV mode on, CV options off, make sure "plasma mode" is off. I did that and the machine smoothed right out, 3D cutting speeds went from 25IPM to 110 IPM max. In 2d cutting I have it set a 300IPM and it has no troubles, I don't what it can do 2D maxed out. I'm using a Dell 530 dual core with add-on cards for the ports.  The computer complains(splash screen) that Mach won't let it go into standby mode on long cuts, but it doesn't seem to cause problems. Just my 2cents worth.

Good luck
Mike