Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:17:26 AM

Author Topic: Bizarre Problem with new computer...Need Help  (Read 3122 times)

Offline KC

•  3 3
    • View Profile
Bizarre Problem with new computer...Need Help
« on: May 03, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
I purchased a new computer to control my shoptask 3-in-1 machine. I have had the shoptask for several years now running Mach3 with no problems using the old computer. I purchased the newer computer (1.8GHz Dell Deminsion 2350) and have installed Mach3 and optimized the computer and everything works great except for the Y- Axis. It acts like it is missing steps?? It is not smooth nor runs contiunuously in either direction. I have isolated the problem down to pin#11 on the parallel port I just don't understand why it does not work correctly. I measured the voltages from the pins and everything seems fine. It seems fine meaning the old computer and new computer operate the same. I'm getting betwenn 3.5V-4V on each pin. The pulse engine is around 23775hz. The only difference between the old XP machine and the new one is the new machine is an ACPI uniprocessor. Attached is the .xml I'm using. It acts like there s some bios problem or Mach3 is having interference with another program, I just cannot find what.  Has anyone run into this problem?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre Problem with new computer...Need Help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:47:31 PM »
What happens if you swap the cable from say x to y axis motor?
RICH

Offline KC

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
I swapped the Z and Y cables and the Z motor behaved the same way. I then returned the old computer and everything worked as it should. So it is not the stepper motors nor the gecko drivers and power supply, thus everything points to the new computer. Curiously, the pin voltages from the old computer do not return to 0 volts when unapplied. The new computer does return the voltage to zero. I would think it would be the other way around. Pin 11 reads a constant 4 volts.
I also swapped pins 2 and 3 with 4 and 5 essentailly changing the control of the Y-Axsi motor to the X-Axis controls and the same problem occured. This narrows it down to pin#11. So I think? unless I'm misunderstanding how Mach3 controls the motors? Could I have a bad pin on my motherboard? It shows a constant 4 volts at pin#11 on both my old and new computers? I get the impression it has something to do with how windows is running Mach3.
If you can make sure I have everything OK in my xml file attached on the original post.
Thanks for your time and input.
KC
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:16:00 PM by KC »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:38:15 PM »
KC,
Just looked at your xml.
You have some pins which are outputs being used as input ( the bottom of the screen defines which pins should be used ).
You should see a voltage change on the pin when you jog and change directions.

See if disabling the Y switch ( pin#11 is used there ) and see if that makes a difference.

BTW, Step and direction pulse to the Y drive is via pin 4 & 5. So with a bad pin#11 MACH may be getting confused on what is happening.  

You can always add a PP card to the PC and use the 2nd PP  for the switches.

Let me also note that i have a DEll GX520 and that adding a 2nd PP card should have been a no brainer. Well
long story short, took (3 ) different PP cards, and finaly someone sent me a driver that worked with that one.
Even the one purchased from Dell didn't work! What a pain for something so simple!
RICH