Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 01:38:01 AM

Author Topic: Backlash  (Read 3504 times)

Offline MJR

•  35 35
    • View Profile
Backlash
« on: August 06, 2006, 01:05:18 PM »
Hi All:
My home-built machine has one slight drawback.  On my Y axis I am using a chain & sprocket system.  Works very well except when the Y changes directions, I get about .015" less travel in the new direction.  If the Y moves & continues to move in the same direction I lose NO more distance, but as soon as the Y goes in the opposite direction again there seems to be a slight lag, then the Y moves which results into an average of .015" lost.
This is very noticeable when cutting a circle.  It produces a very slight out of roundness.
I have checked all the mechanical stuff & I think it is just in the fit between the chain & the drive sprocket & all the links.

How can I adjust Mach3 to correct this problem.
Please be specific with the instructions. I do not fully understand what I have read about the backlash within the documentation.
Thanks all.
Rusty

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Backlash
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 04:54:50 PM »
Hi Rusty,

thats a lot of backlash,  Mach3 will compensate for this but you may still have problems.

The main problem is cutter push and pull,  with that amount of lash the cutter can get hold of the work and drag it in to the cutter, scrapping the job and the cutter.

You may be better changing the chain and wheels for tooth belts and pulleys.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops