Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 08:30:23 AM

Author Topic: X Y axis is opposite  (Read 3482 times)

X Y axis is opposite
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:27:10 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I just loaded my Mach3 software and it seems to be working OK except for when I want to Jog the X and X stepper motors. When I use the arrows in the Jog Screen they move opposite to the direction indicated. They are also opposite when using the arrow keys on the PC's keyboard. When I use the left arrow key for the X axis you'd expect the vice to move left but it moves right instead. I can't seem to find anywhere in the program where I can correct this abnormality. I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Thanks
jessey
Re: X Y axis is opposite
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I just loaded my Mach3 software and it seems to be working OK except for when I want to Jog the X and X stepper motors. When I use the arrows in the Jog Screen they move opposite to the direction indicated. They are also opposite when using the arrow keys on the PC's keyboard. When I use the left arrow key for the X axis you'd expect the vice to move left but it moves right instead. I can't seem to find anywhere in the program where I can correct this abnormality. I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Thanks
jessey

That's not an "abnormality", it's how it's supposed to work.  All movement is relative to the tool, not the work.  Jogging left moves the tool to the left, or the table to the right.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:56:52 PM »
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the explanation, makes total sense now when you look at it from that perspective. How can you tell I'm not a machinist.

Thanks Again
jessey

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 02:38:17 AM »
Jessey - You can change the "short cut keys" in the config menu - look under "Config/System hotkeys" and you can allocate any key to any function quite easily.

Although it might not be the done thing, you need a system you are comfortable with, and you need to look at your table, and your fingers automatically go to the keys you feel comfortable with to produce the moovement you want.

That may sound gibberish, - but -

What I mean is convention says you should allocate the keys the way the "cutting head" moves - but if you feel better allocating them the way the table moves, then do so.

I have a combined lathe and miller - so to avoid confusion, I have one system of hotkeys, whether I am turning or milling - so my brain does not have to remember what "mode" I am in.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.