Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 08:54:35 AM

Author Topic: dual toolpath displays for 4-axis foam cutter?  (Read 4053 times)

dual toolpath displays for 4-axis foam cutter?
« on: April 13, 2009, 02:28:24 PM »
Greetings,

This is probably wishful thinking, but I have a foam cutter that's using XYAB g-code.  The XY profile shows up on the toolpath display with no problems.  The question is whether it's possible to have a second display that shows a toolpath for AB at the same time?  I haven't found any way to do this, and I suspect there probably isn't a way, but it doesn't hurt to ask. 

Thanks,
Rusty
Re: dual toolpath displays for 4-axis foam cutter?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »
what kind of foam cutter are you using.  I'm guessing hot wire.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:55:45 PM »
Correct.  Pretty typical hot wire.  The left tower is XY and the right tower is AB.
Rusty
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 03:45:23 PM »
Just an idea, it may be a little complicated/expensive to even prototype, but could you operate the left tower AB with one controller and the right tower XY with another.  That way each is independent of the other with its own controller/computer.  I think that would make programming require a little more forthought.

are you cutting eps?  I have actually just "busted my cherry" with hot wire cutting a couple days ago.  I am only doing profile cutting, maybe you have some advise for a newbee.  I am trying to v cut a thin 3/8" thick piece down approximately .33" deep.  It will be a manual fixture, no NC.  The material is XLPE with a Adhesive and a liner.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »
If Mach3 has some way of synchronizing two different CNC processes, I suppose you could run two separate controllers.   The second tower display would be a "nice to have" not "need to have" feature, so I don't think it would be worth going to that sort of trouble to get it.   

As for foam advice, I'm still very much in the trial and error phase myself, so my advice would be to find a foam cutting forum to ask  ;D

Rusty