Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:36:06 AM

Author Topic: Suggestion for hole drilling wizards  (Read 10527 times)

vmax549

Re: Suggestion for hole drilling wizards
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 02:54:47 AM »
YOu are correct, Pardon my rambling(;-)

(;-) TP
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 07:25:03 AM »
A lot of topics getting mixed in here.

On the license question, Newfangled did not attach a specific license to the wizards.  There is a code protection scheme with a password, but its not to hard to get around. Obviously we would be greatly upset if someone took the code and tried to sell a modified version. But if a user figures out how to modify it for his own use there really is no restriction.

My worry is that modified version will get out and make support impossible, Its hard enough when there are old versions around, but trying to support code that has been modified by a user is impossible.

There are countless ways to restructure screens and wizard like functions. I have started a lathe set that has screens for manual mode, running programs, facing, boring, tapering, etc. These are a bit like power feed screens where they do the operation when you push the button, not generate Gcode for later use.

My lathe screens are not finished, and I just sold my lathe so it will be a while before i have another lathe running and can get back to work on the screens.

I had along talk with Brian last night about screen issues. There are some problems with the way it currently works- seen by the long time it can take to paint screens when you load wizards or screens. He has some fixes in mind that may get into Mach V4. That would make much quicker to switch screens and make a many page set possible.

Back to the original question, Im not sure I understand what you want by a single hole drilling. Do you mean you want the wizard to make stops at each location, like a 2D machine would? Because of the complexity of getting into and out of the wizard a choice for a single hole seems more trouble than its worth.

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 07:53:20 AM »

On the license question, Newfangled did not attach a specific license to the wizards. 
There is a code protection scheme with a password, but its not to hard to get around.
Obviously we would be greatly upset if someone took the code and tried to sell a modified version.
But if a user figures out how to modify it for his own use there really is no restriction.

My worry is that modified version will get out and make support impossible, Its hard enough when there are
old versions around, but trying to support code that has been modified by a user is impossible.

OK thanks for the info Ron.  For personal use and do not share.  Sounds pretty fair and reasonable to me.

Back to the original question, Im not sure I understand what you want by a single hole drilling.
Do you mean you want the wizard to make stops at each location, like a 2D machine would?
Because of the complexity of getting into and out of the wizard a choice for a single hole seems more trouble than its worth.

Yeah I expected people to say "What do you want to do that for?"

Not for single holes but for multiples.  Multiple Hole Pattern wizard for example.

Enter up to 20 hole locations the select one of the drill operations, G81, G83, G73 or manual as a fourth option.

Gcode will move to hole position and M1.  Press start and next hole position comes up etc.

I know I am a bit odd.   :D  But I would find that very handy.

Let you know how I get on.

Greg

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »
Well it did not prove as difficult as I first thought.

They are fairly complex (to my eye) bits of code and some of the math goes over my head

but just trying to follow the logic you get an idea of what it is doing.

Any way I now have a personalised set of newfangled wizards that has some extra functionality that makes them quite a bit more usable for me.

Each of the four hole drilling pages now has a fourth type of drill operation as an option.

In light of the above posts this is not for sharing so please don't ask.  :)

Thanks for your forbearance Ron.

Greg
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:31:48 AM by Greolt »