Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 04:09:14 AM

Author Topic: Pattern for Castings - parts is parts...  (Read 12802 times)

Re: Pattern for Castings - parts is parts...
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »
Beautiful job Bill ,

BUT , don't forget , if its Aluminum , its gotta be POLISHED , and 7075 will buff out like chrome.

My design for the rotary sleeve valve. would run at 1/4 crank speed , chain driven. No cam, no valves , no rocker arms , no pushrods. no lifters.
no valves to bend or float. unlimited compression ratio.
But I can't tell all or everyone will have one before me.  LOL.

And , your job, sounds like excellent fringe benefits.  Do they also pay you ? ha ha

Ed
Ed VanEss

BClemens

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 06:53:14 AM »
Thanks Ed   - I was thinking about sand blasting the cases to resemble a casting....then the polished covers and rocker boxes would stand out better but polishing is tempting...

Interesting - rotary valve....must see....wanna see....

Sam, I think they like me here, I'm at work again today - Sunday. My wife says I'm an easy piece - must be true. Money? Was there money involved? They wouldn't want to pay me - that's whoreish...

Bill C.

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »
Bill,

Don't sand blast. bead blast with glass bead. Much finer and better finish, But get all the machining marks out first. Scotch brite wheels.
I used to bead blast harley cases after a major rebuild, made them look like new.

Rotary sleeve valve , is nothing new. They tryed it in the 20s on small engines but had trouble with sealing. My sleeves would be mounted on sealed bearings with teflon outer seals. No oil needed to the heads. Dirty oil comes from the heads on a poppet valve engine, which will be eliminated.
The sleeve would be about 2" in diameter with a long slot through , which matches the ports , supported on both ends ,  hence , 1/4 crank speed.

Ed
Ed VanEss

BClemens

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 03:01:18 PM »
 Ed! You NEVER glass bead an aluminum engine casting because you will forever continue to see glass beads in your oil. The stuff gets into the pores of a casting....A billet is another situation - the pores are minute and almost non existent to a glass bead. I've seen many Harley engines die an early death from glass beads. And - you're right about the finish on this 7075 - it would look much better than sand blasting.

Your rotary valve with the new plastic formulations now will probably be a success, in which case is patentable. That could make a fantastic cottage manufacturing opportunity and make some serious money. There's a good place for stock loading, tool-changing, and easily duplicatable NC machine(s).

Bill C.

BTW: Your web site is grand! Us old guys need to inspire some of the younger crowd to do something with their hands - you're in motion!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:36:59 PM by BClemens »
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 04:06:31 PM »
Thanks Bill,

I've done many Harley motors with no problem. After bead blast, they were cleaned in parts cleaner. All holes were cleaned with a water pick , and final cleaned in hot water. AND , When I thought they were clean , I did the whole cleaning procedure over again, The cleaning process , took longer than the rebuild.   ;)  they're all still running after 20 years.

Ed
Ed VanEss