Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:06:20 AM

Author Topic: Port addressing when using a smooth stepper?  (Read 6345 times)

Port addressing when using a smooth stepper?
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
He everyone, I'm trying to get my setup up and running.  I have a few issues that I think may be related to my port address's used in Mach 3.

I am running a smooth stepper (USB connection to PC) with a PMDX-122 on Port 1 and a Sound Logic Encoder Interface board on Port 2.  I understand how to input the port address's when you use a printer port connection but how do you find the correct address to use when using a smooth stepper board?

Do you still go to Control Panel/system/hardware/device manager/ then where? 

Currently it's just using the default address's that came up when I installed Mach 3.  Port 1 listed as 0x378 and Port 2 is 0x278 in Mach 3 now.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Port addressing when using a smooth stepper?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »
 I assume that you have connected the SS to the other boards via PP cable or equal.
In Mach go to PlugIn Control>smoothStepper Data Monitoring  as that shows Pin out's.
I don't use other interface boards but others in here do and surely they will chime in
and can give you additional info as theye seem to be common choice boards.
RICH

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:21:11 AM »
The port addresses on the first page of "Ports and Pins" is ignored when using the SS.

Just set the relative inputs and outputs to port 1, 2 or 3 as needed.

Pins 2 through 9 can be set to inputs on port two. This is done on the SS config page.

However not all BoBs will support this.

Personally I forgo a BoB and interface with the SS directly.  But that is just me.  Others would disagree.

Greg
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 12:20:27 PM »
Well if the port addresses are ignored, then my problem is elsewhere.  I have yet to install my encoders on my servo's so I haven't interfaced with the Gecko 320's yet, however I do get limit switch inputs thru the PMDX board just fine. 

My problem is with the SoundLogic Encoder interface board.  I am reading my linear scales thru it just fine (X, Y, & Z all work correctly), however the relay contacts on this board will not work.  I have outputs 4, 5, & 6 enabled on Port 2 and also have them assigned to Spindle Forward, Spindle Reverse, and Mist control with these setting enabled within Mach 3.  On the Diagnostics screen, Mach 3 shows the outputs working correctly, however the board shows no change?  No Led and no relay actuation.  I've been in contact with Ron at RogerMachine and according to the info I've sent him they should be working? 
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »
I just got word from Ron that the smooth stepper will not work with this board, the encoder interface board must be connected to a separate parallel port to function correctly.  Doesn't seem right...  He said the smooth stepper is not realtime with the PC?

Now I have to get a PCI to parallel port card as well...

Anyone else been able to use a SL encoder interface board connected to a smooth stepper?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »
Not sure if you can use a parallel port at the same time as using the SS, there was talk of it being a possibility at some point but as far as I know its not been done.
Hood