Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:14:46 AM

Author Topic: 3d Video Probe  (Read 42607 times)

3d Video Probe
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:40:31 PM »
Hello,

Here is my first release of a plugin for 3d Video Probing.

File is called Scan3d.dll. Download to the Mach Plugins directory.

James Leonard's tutorial on writing Mach plugins was very helpful.

Start the plugin with Config. I don't know how to program it to start from the Plugins pulldown menu.

No documentation yet but you can plugin a webcam and see if there is video in the plugin. I have tested with Watchport/V, Watchport/V2 and Eyetoy (silver package). Watchport/V is older camera, doies not use compression, and seems to work ok if machine is fast but does not work well on the 800MHz desktop and the 800MHz laptop that I have tested. Watchport/V2 and Eyetoy use compression but seem to work ok on all the machines that I have gotten access to, whether compression is enabled or not.

Meantime, I will work on documentation.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net   

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: 3d Video Probe
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 05:26:08 AM »
Thanks Tom, I'll have to order some hardware and give it a try ASAP.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »
Hi Tom:

Sounds interesting.. nice to se emy old toy getting some life. :) , I hope to get to a point I can experiment son.

Thx
Art
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:21:23 PM »
how do you get it working? i tried and can not even start it, can you explain steps to load it so we can try it and a screen capture?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:54:48 PM »
how do you get it working? i tried and can not even start it, can you explain steps to load it so we can try it and a screen capture?

Hello Joe,

Download the file Scan3d.zip to the Mach3/Plugins/ directory. Unzip to get Scan3d.dll. The zip file can then be deleted. Mach3 will find the file in this directory.

Start Mach3. Go to the top menu and choose Config/Config Plugins. The Scan3d plugin should be on this menu. Enable the Scan3d plugin then restart Mach3 and come back to this point. Click on CONFIG to start the plugin.

I apologize for this unconventional way to start the Scan3d plugin. I have not figured out how to get it to show up in the Plugin Control menu.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »
Hello,

Attached is the latest version of my 3d video scanner plugin for Mach3. The plugin file is Scan3d.dll and the little bit of documentation that I have, so far, is Scan3d.doc.

I have included the source code as "Open Source" for those of you who wish to fiddle with video plugins for personal use or to share your own as "Open Source".

I use the older VFW (Video For Windows) routines. More modern camera calls would be better but I do not have time to pursue that right now. Perhaps somebody else can tackle that or point me to equivalent calls for the camera operations.

Most of the camera access is in the file Video.cpp. The remaining files were adapted from James Leonard's plugin tutorial at "http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4884.0.html".

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:50 AM »
hello,

Here is a screenshot of Scan3d.

The laser line is cutting across a 3/4 inch diameter cylinder.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:16:31 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for the ignorant question, but how do you convert the laser from a spot to a line?

Thanks,
Daniel

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
Dan:

Shine it through a bar of glass. ( or get a line laser which has one built in..their cheap..)

Art

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »
Art,

Ah... so that is what you were using.... ;) because, couldn't understand how a regular laser beam would illuminate half of a cylinder, or any other 3D object.

Thanks,
Daniel