Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:10:58 PM

Author Topic: configure drive for motors  (Read 3071 times)

configure drive for motors
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:41:48 PM »
Heloo everybody..I am new here and i would like to say that this software(i am talking about MACH3),looks like it is very good.I wanna build a motor driver with a PIC controller and i have a question that i would like to be answered. As i undeerstand,the output signal that comes from the LPT port for controling the motor comes from one pin(configured output pin from the LPT port) and it is an impulse signal.From that signal i should control a stepper motor,lets say it is bipolar,who has 4 wires coming out from him.So i was wondering if i get it right,does every impuls coming out from the configured output pin from the LPT for controling the motor,should go on  one the next coil from the motor,sort of like impuls multiplexing for every coil??? My english is not so good good,so i am sorry if i made any mistake but i nope you will know what i am trying to ask.

BClemens

Re: configure drive for motors
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
No need to build stepper motor drivers, they are commercially available and work with Mach3 among other operating systems. Mach3 outputs step and direction signals per industry standards. Those perimeters are available with the specifications of any driver.

Bill C.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: configure drive for motors
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 06:36:02 AM »
Bill is right - it is better to purchase a ready made stepper controller.

The 4 wire bipolar stepper motors when operated in full step mode, in one direction, require current through one set of coils then for the next step current through the next set of coils then for the next step current is reversed through the first set of coils and so on.

The 5 wire unipolar steppers are a lot easier to drive from PICs because one wire is common + and the other wires are grounded in sequence to produce the rotation (there is no current reversal through the coils therefore only one switching transistor is required for each coil).

See the following Wiki.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

Tweakie.
PEACE