Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:00:57 PM

Author Topic: Loading the Gecko G540 XML file  (Read 11883 times)

Loading the Gecko G540 XML file
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:18:44 AM »
This has to be one of those questions that has an obvious answer but I'm stumped.  Gecko provides an XML file to use with their G540 with all of the correct Mach3 settings.  All they say is load it into Mach3 but have no mention of how.  How do you load an XML file into Mach3?

Thanks in advance...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Loading the Gecko G540 XML file
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 07:17:45 PM »
What you do is place it in your Mach3 folder (C:\Mach3) then start Mach via the Mach3 loader shortcut and choose the Gecko profile.
 You can if you wish make a shortcut to the desktop for that profile, all you need to do is right click on the normal Mach3Mill icon and choose properties then edit the Target loactation to have your profiles name in it, for example the standard Mach3Mill shortcut icon has C:\Mach3\Mach3.exe /p Mach3Mill as its target loaction, all you do is replace the last Mach3Mill part with the name of the Gecko profile, you need to take care that you leave the space after the /p

Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:55:42 PM »
I have a slightly different problem.

After loading the Mach 3 software (and before loading the Gecko XML), I started configuring my own profile following instructions in the tutorial videos and information from my machine supplier.  Later in the process, I remembered the Gecko XML.  When I loaded it and started Mach 3, I got errors relating to limit and home switches.  Evidently the Gecko XML assumes that you have limit and home switches (which I don't yet).

What I'm wondering now is whether to continue with my own configuration, or change to the default Gecko XML configuraton and start over.  It would be easier to continue my own configuration, but, I wonder if there may be something "deep in the bowels" of the Gecko configuration that I need that I may miss in the configuration of my own profile.  I tried to find a (free) XML compare utility to examine the differences between my profile and the Gecko XML.  Unfortunately, the couple that I did find and downloaded didn't work.

Any thoughts from the experts?
Bill (the Cat) Shubert

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 03:55:15 PM »
either or really, you could just use the Gecko one and then disable the limits if thats all thats wrong. There is a xml viewer posted at the top of this forum, its a very nice tool that Jason made up, it wont compare the xmls but will allow you to view them and I am sure you can start two instances of it and drop in a xml to each and compare that way.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 05:03:02 PM »
Thanks Hood!  I'll probably go with the Gecko 540 XML and start over with the modifications to create my own unique profile.  I hate to have to redo the work I've done so far, but it's better than having some obscure parameter set wrong and then wondering why the thing doesn't work.

I will look into that XML viewer that you mentioned. Manually comparing files is kind of tedious, but it's better than nothing :)

Thanks again!
Bill (the Cat) Shubert