Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:14:45 AM

Author Topic: Pattern for Castings - parts is parts...  (Read 12763 times)

BClemens

Re: Pattern for Castings - parts is parts...
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 05:14:42 AM »
No holes in these parts as machined at all; they will be conventionally machined in the finished 'castings'. The breather is above the scavenge pocket, lower left in the gearcase. The scale is .36, so it's a bit over 1/3 of full sized. The HD engine is tough to fully scale much smaller than this... Parts get to dainty.

This program was also run on mohogany an proofs fine. 7075 is next.

There is also a twinkie in the works and it's actually easier to work with - but it will have gears - no stock chain!

Bill C.

BClemens

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »
Cam Cover

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »
Nice little piece of maching right there, beautiful job-  8)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

BClemens

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »
The programming on that part was a mother bear! But, Mach 3 machined it anyhow....165,000 lines of code.

Thanks for the compliment!

Bill C.

BClemens

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 09:32:08 PM »
Driveside 7075.....

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 11:21:56 PM »
Good stuff Bill! I enjoy looking at the pics.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

BClemens

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 05:10:08 AM »
It kills me to reduce a nice sized block of 7075 to chips but there IS a part in there. The contour alone takes away about 1/3 of the total piece, all sucked up into a vacuum cleaner. The total weight of the block is reduced by about 90%. The miser in me is showing up now....

Thanks for the compliment. I'll keep some photos coming.

Bill C.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 01:46:35 AM »
Lookin good Bill, Cases from 7075.
But ,  Why the patterns then ?

I've got a couple billit blocks to make a full size HD , my own design, with a big block chevy crank and rotary valve heads.
But no time. Where do you find all this time ?

Ed
Ed VanEss

BClemens

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 06:44:23 AM »
Good question Ed...We're having the same difficulties! The intent was to make castings but after thinking about it, there just isn't time to make castings and build this engine at the same time. Besides, this milling machine was sitting there and it doesn't care if it is cutting air, wood or a piece of 7075.

Your engine sounds like a monster V twin - tell more about it....

Take a look at solenoid operated valves for an engine that size. The event timing can be tuned as well as the ignition advance curve. There are a couple of sites on the net by experimenters in this stuff. The heads would be simple and there is no cam - what a savings in power. There is enough sensor 'garbage' in junkyards to do most any crankshaft position sensing you would need. I'm currently dabbling in a programmable ignition system using a PIC chip (which have become fast enough for just over 10,000 RPMs) that changes the advance as the speed increases in various curves and operating the valves would fall right in there as well.

Time; I operate an electron beam welder at work that is enclosed in a six X six X six foot cube cryogenic chamber and there is vacuum pump down time (down to 7E-5 Torr) and then part cool down time between welds = time. I usually spend much of that time doing CAD work on various projects for the lab (and myself) so these CADs of the HD engine and NC programming that take lots of time are conveniently done at work. That leaves home shop time in the shop! But today (Saturday), I'm at work. We have had problems with the cryo system so I've lost welding time and many parts have piled up to do.... Need any CAD or programming done?

Bill C.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:41:14 PM by BClemens »

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 01:49:27 PM »
Tell them if there gonna tear up, fix, or modify stuff, they need to do it on another shift. It's cutting into to much of your personal time.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."