Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:50:36 AM

Author Topic: MPG and Joystick at the same time?  (Read 5727 times)

MPG and Joystick at the same time?
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Hello,
is it possible it to use at the same time the Joystick and the handwheel function without the Jog mode back and forth connects? I would like that to my Lathe to use, must between the modes to so however always select. If goes, I would be pleased much, if one could explain to me like it goes.
Greetings from Germany,
Tom
Re: MPG and Joystick at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:12:38 AM »
Hi Group,
I've just set up a couple of MPGs on my lathe and want to be able to
jog as well in Mach 3. Basically I want to be able to use the lathe in
manual mode using the MPGs and have switches to engage the jog function
to use as a feed function and rapid traverse ( as per shift + jog ).
From what I have been able to find out it seems you can only have MPG
mode, or jog mode using the keyboard, but not both. You have to change
the function in the MPG screen.
Does anyone have a work around for this ? I've come across quite a few
messages in the Mach3 forum concerning similar problems but haven't
found any solution.
Thanks,
Glen.
I had a few parts left over - still it's always the same when you try a bit of "do it yourself"

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:12:41 AM »
You could set up an external button or two  to toggle between keyboard and MPG but as far as I know there is no way to have  both active at the same time.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 05:52:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply. How would you tell Mach3 that an external button is meant to perform this function ? ( I'm not a programmer, just a machinist ).
Thanks,
Glen.
I had a few parts left over - still it's always the same when you try a bit of "do it yourself"

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:29:25 AM »
You would set it up as an OEM Trigger in Ports and Pins Inputs page. You would then go to Config menu then System Hotkeys and define the OEM code for the button you want to use in the triger you have set up. The OEM for the button to swap between MPG and Keyboard Jog is 174.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 07:27:29 AM »
Thanks Hood, I was able to make it swap between MPG & Keyboard jog as you described, however it only works with an input from pins 10-13, active low. It says that you can not use pins 2-9 on the input screen and this appears to be the case, even though I"m using the 2nd parallel port with pins 2-9 as inputs enabled. It accepts these pins for the MPGs but not for anything else. I need 4 inputs for the jog ( feed ) directions, 1 to toggle the MPG/jog function, and 1 to make it rapid traverse (if I can find out how).
Thanks,
Glen.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 09:23:25 AM »
You should be able to use them no problem, sure you had port 2 entered in the OEM trigger setup?
Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Yes definitely had port 2. All I changed was the pin number and checked the signal with a multimeter. The breakout board is straight through ( no buffers ). As I said pins 2-9 work with the MPGs but they are done in a different screen. I'm wondering if there is something in the inputs screen that prohibits pins 2-9, whether on port 1 or 2. This is in Mach3 Turn.
Thanks,
Glen.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 10:07:05 AM »
Nope, shouldnt be, I used Inputs on port 2 pins 2-9(and if I remember still do) for some buttons on the lathe.
Can you attach your xml and I will have a look and see if I can find a problem.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 12:06:37 PM »
I think I've found the problem. There needs to be a pull down resistor on pins 2-9 for my parallel port card. Pins 10-13 are normally high and need an active low signal. Pins 2-9 seem to be floating for some reason. If I measure the signal after sending a 5 volt pulse ( measuring zero volts again ) with a multimeter the function works. If I don't connect the multimeter, the function only works the first time and doesn't recognize any more signals.
Thanks again for your help,
Glen.