Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:41:23 PM

Author Topic: backlash help please  (Read 9000 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: backlash help please
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 06:51:53 AM »
Good point RC,
Never thought of that, so you can check it out similar to doing a motor tuning.
Hmmmmm.........
Just do  backlash moves in a coded loop and see what happens by changing settings. By indicating
along with say a number of dfferent cycles you'll see how repeatable or good your settings are.

RICH
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »
Yes Rich,
  I saw that in the CV notes. It really helps you to see whats going on.
My first lathe had .007" backlash in both ballscrews. The cheapest Thomson's from MSC.
I set the backlash to .500 and by watching the results of each adjustment, optimizing the settings became much easier.
I like the loop idea, I just programmed a full circle in the X-Z plane with an M47 at the end.
RC
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »
i had to uncheck the backlash setting to make the stepers quit missing steps. i hope my backlash did not come back but it was the only wat to make it run right.i have not put the indicator back on it yet.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
ALEX850,
If you have backlash you have it and it dosn't go away unless you do something other than using the sofware to
change the amount. Backlash compensation just adjusts for the amount of non-movement if it's activated.

RICH
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 10:25:26 AM »
I have the same backlash problem. without the backlash enabled the setup works great with a wide range of acceleration and shuttle travel speeds. When I enable the backlash compensation the motor skip and or hang. I tried backlash speed settings from 3% to at least 50%. Same results with all.