Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:38:09 AM

Author Topic: Notebook & MPG question  (Read 4110 times)

Notebook & MPG question
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »
My MPG works ok with my mill and I can select different axes by pressing Alt A on the keyboard. I have used one of the input pins of the parallel port of my notebook for Emergency Stop, the other two for the MPG. I’m left with two empty input pins that I want to use them for selecting two of the mill axes by turning the selector knob on the MPG pendant for faster setup.
My question is:  How I should connect the MPG pins to input pins and how Mach3 should be informed about this connection?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

arban

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Notebook & MPG question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
I am not sure if I understand you correctly but think you are wanting to use the MPG both for jogging and selecting the axis to jog, if thats correct then I dont think you can. You could however use a button connected to the port to toggle between axis by using it as an OEM trigger and entering the OEM for the toggle button for the chosen trigger in System Hotkeys.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:48:42 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply Hood
There is actually a togle swich on the mpg pendant that chooses between xyza axes. Do you think If I connect two of the wires related to these axes to enable sucet of the input pins of the breakout board and write the pin# in the OEM trig#1 and use eg. OEM code 185 in System hotkeys for one of the axes, would be OK?
Arban

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »
Is it a momentary switch?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:30:52 PM »
I don't think so, the axis will be chosen as long as it is selected and there is an off swicht beside xyza also. It is actally off,x,y,z,a.
Here is the link, you can see what I'm trying to specify. It's almost like what I have.
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?products_id=158
Arban
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:01:02 PM by arban »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:19:10 AM »
Ah ok so it has a rotary switch, that will mean there are 4 possible outputs to switch between axis. As you only have ywo then you cant use it the way its set up. You could however get yourself a second parallel port by adding a PCI parallel port, that would give you plenty of inputs :)
Hood